Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obstreperous bold italic underline

1. Sep 1, 2015 #1

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

bold italic and underline refusing to turn off again

see tail end of post
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ideal-transformer.819580/page-12#post-5215889

win7, firefox, dont know how to find version but it self-updated yesterday,

once selected it wont turn off even after carriage return linefeed and typing new text, selecting it and clicking white i to un-italicise it

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2015 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Sep 1, 2015 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Sep 1, 2015 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

edit oops i mis-understood your question..
    Second post i referenced it worked just fine, in the manner i expect, obeying my clicks on the buttons.
    First post i referenced , buttons refused to reset when clicked

i didnt' fix anything...... just left them and noted misbehavior here............................................................................................................................

No, i've just accepted that it's intermittent.

Before Microsoft one could rely on a computer to do the same thing twice

some flag someplace gets set, and whatever is supposed to clear it won't .

some of the time.

testtesttesttest test test test test testtest test
    test test test
    test test test

definitely different than it was , through no action of my own

software is just that way anymore.

"Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth:"

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  6. Sep 1, 2015 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

in this post

whilst typing this line
    i tried repeatedly to turn OFF italic after first appearance of word magamps

why word "are" is non-italic i dont know,

something about the on-off control for these characters has built in traps for the user.

7. Sep 1, 2015 #6

berkeman

Did you try the Remove Formatting button on that text?

8. Sep 1, 2015 #7

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

i would guess it's like the hidden control characters in Word.... like unpaired parens in an equation, unpaired control characters cause trouble but since they're invisible you dont know where is the troublemaker

maybe a control character could make them show?

9. Sep 1, 2015 #8

Mark44

To get rid of unintended formatting, use the "Use BB Code Editor" button all the way to the right of the green menu bar. It looks like a piece of paper with one corner folded over. The Rich Text Editor doesn't show the BB codes that control bolding, underlining, italics, and so on. You can use the "Remove Formatting" button (next to the Use BB Code Editor button) to get rid of the formatting BB codes.

I forget exactly how it works, but if you Quote or copy text (one of them), for some reason, you get the formatted version, with BB codes, together with another copy. I find it easiest to use the BB Code Editor to clean out what I don't want.

The above text lines look like this in the BB code editor (with some added spaces in the BB code tags to show them without them rendering):
    test[I ]test[/I]test[I ]test [/I]test [B ][I ]test[/I] test[/B] test [U ]test[I ]test [/I][/U]test
    test[B ][U ][I ] test [/I][/U][/B]test
    [U ][B ] [I ]test t[/I][/B]est[/U] test

10. Sep 1, 2015 #9

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

okay, found that code button to show control characters,
    and by serendipity found the return button to text editor ,
    which is logically placed on a separate button diametrically opposite
    instead of just toggling from same button like everything else.

Tried them out, seems to work okay, will . use them to troubleshoot next instance of sticky IBU's .

thanks for the tip, it'll come in useful

it already did , italics stuck again
    something is delaying reset of BIU status - lit italic button ignores clicks and refuses to turn off ,at random.
    When it finally decides to honor most recent request to turn off, it does it wherever you are typing at that instant not where the request was made, maybe a line later maybe just a character later, although most of time it appears instantaneous and behaves itself..
    I've never seen BIU refuse to engage, only to disengage..

Does that request to toggle BIU status have to go clear to PF and back or is it local to my machine ?

old jim

11. Sep 1, 2015 #10

Mark44

They aren't control characters -- they are BB code tags, with [ U ] and [ /U ] for underline, [ B ] and [ /B] for bold, and [ I ] and [ /I ] for italics. The tags in each pair turn on and turn off the particular attribute. (I've added spaces so they don't actually do anything.)

For me, it's often easier to just switch to the BB Code Editor and take out what I don't want. My experience with the Remove Formatting button is that it sometimes doesn't work completely.
    Then there is an extra [ I ] tag somewhere, which will cause everything that follows it to be rendered in italics.
    BTW, we have found that some C code examples that use arrays with an index of i cause italics to be turned on, which is not the intent in the code example. For example, arr[i]. This is not causing italics to display because I have fiddled with the font color.
    The only workarounds are to add spaces between the beginning bracket and 'i' or to use a different letter for the array index.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  12. Sep 1, 2015 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

bbbbiiiiiiiuuuuuu

aahhhh i didnt know what was 'remove formatting' button, but it works.

bbbbbbbb nnnnnnnbbbbbnnnnnnnnbbbnnn nnn getting the hang of it

edit: possibly something to do with doggone touchpad, this just posted itself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook