Obstreperous bold italic underline

• Thread starter jim hardy
  • Start date
In summary, when I try to turn off italics, the buttons refuse to reset, even after I've un-italicized the text. However, when I use the BB Code Editor to remove the formatting, the italics turn off successfully.
jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
bold italic and underline refusing to turn off again

see tail end of post
https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ideal-transformer.819580/page-12#post-5215889

win7, firefox, don't know how to find version but it self-updated yesterday,

once selected it won't turn off even after carriage return linefeed and typing new text, selecting it and clicking white i to un-italicise it

Physics news on Phys.org
worked fine here though

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...ideal-transformer.819580/page-12#post-5215904

it's the unpredictability that's the problem

Balmer at work?

ballmer_peak.png

berkeman said:
Looks okay to me -- did you fix it with the Remove Formatting Button thing?

edit oops i mis-understood your question..
Second post i referenced it worked just fine, in the manner i expect, obeying my clicks on the buttons.
First post i referenced , buttons refused to reset when clicked

i didnt' fix anything... just left them and noted misbehavior here.......................

No, I've just accepted that it's intermittent.

Before Microsoft one could rely on a computer to do the same thing twice

some flag someplace gets set, and whatever is supposed to clear it won't .

some of the time.

testtesttesttest test test test test testtest test
test test test
test test test

definitely different than it was , through no action of my own

software is just that way anymore.

"Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the LORD did there confound the language of all the earth:"

Last edited:
in this postwhilst typing this line
jim hardy said:
Anyway that's why almost all magamps are self saturating (dammot italics sticking again)
and what you are building is a saturable reactor, precursor to magamp.

i tried repeatedly to turn OFF italic after first appearance of word magamps

why word "are" is non-italic i don't know,

something about the on-off control for these characters has built in traps for the user.

Did you try the Remove Formatting button on that text?

jim hardy said:
something about the on-off control for these characters has built in traps for the user.
i would guess it's like the hidden control characters in Word... like unpaired parens in an equation, unpaired control characters cause trouble but since they're invisible you don't know where is the troublemaker

maybe a control character could make them show?

jim hardy said:
testtesttesttest test test test test testtest test
test test test
test test test
To get rid of unintended formatting, use the "Use BB Code Editor" button all the way to the right of the green menu bar. It looks like a piece of paper with one corner folded over. The Rich Text Editor doesn't show the BB codes that control bolding, underlining, italics, and so on. You can use the "Remove Formatting" button (next to the Use BB Code Editor button) to get rid of the formatting BB codes.

I forget exactly how it works, but if you Quote or copy text (one of them), for some reason, you get the formatted version, with BB codes, together with another copy. I find it easiest to use the BB Code Editor to clean out what I don't want.

The above text lines look like this in the BB code editor (with some added spaces in the BB code tags to show them without them rendering):
test[I ]test[/I]test[I ]test [/I]test [B ][I ]test[/I] test[/B] test [U ]test[I ]test [/I][/U]test
test[B ][U ][I ] test [/I][/U][/B]test
[U ][B ] [I ]test t[/I][/B]est[/U] test

Likes jim hardy and berkeman
okay, found that code button to show control characters,
and by serendipity found the return button to text editor ,
which is logically placed on a separate button diametrically opposite
instead of just toggling from same button like everything else.

Tried them out, seems to work okay, will . use them to troubleshoot next instance of sticky IBU's .

thanks for the tip, it'll come in useful

it already did , italics stuck again
something is delaying reset of BIU status - lit italic button ignores clicks and refuses to turn off ,at random.
When it finally decides to honor most recent request to turn off, it does it wherever you are typing at that instant not where the request was made, maybe a line later maybe just a character later, although most of time it appears instantaneous and behaves itself..
I've never seen BIU refuse to engage, only to disengage..

Does that request to toggle BIU status have to go clear to PF and back or is it local to my machine ?old jim

jim hardy said:
okay, found that code button to show control characters,
They aren't control characters -- they are BB code tags, with [ U ] and [ /U ] for underline, [ B ] and [ /B] for bold, and [ I ] and [ /I ] for italics. The tags in each pair turn on and turn off the particular attribute. (I've added spaces so they don't actually do anything.)

For me, it's often easier to just switch to the BB Code Editor and take out what I don't want. My experience with the Remove Formatting button is that it sometimes doesn't work completely.
jim hardy said:
and by serendipity found the return button to text editor ,
which is logically placed on a separate button diametrically opposite
instead of just toggling from same button like everything else.

Tried them out, seems to work okay, will . use them to troubleshoot next instance of sticky IBU's .

thanks for the tip, it'll come in useful

it already did , italics stuck again
Then there is an extra [ I ] tag somewhere, which will cause everything that follows it to be rendered in italics.
jim hardy said:
something is delaying reset of BIU status - lit italic button ignores clicks and refuses to turn off ,at random.
When it finally decides to honor most recent request to turn off, it does it wherever you are typing at that instant not where the request was made, maybe a line later maybe just a character later, although most of time it appears instantaneous and behaves itself..
I've never seen BIU refuse to engage, only to disengage..

Does that request to toggle BIU status have to go clear to PF and back or is it local to my machine ?old jim

BTW, we have found that some C code examples that use arrays with an index of i cause italics to be turned on, which is not the intent in the code example. For example, arr[i]. This is not causing italics to display because I have fiddled with the font color.
The only workarounds are to add spaces between the beginning bracket and 'i' or to use a different letter for the array index.

Last edited:
bbbbiiiiiiiuuuuuu

aahhhh i didnt know what was 'remove formatting' button, but it works.

bbbbbbbb nnnnnnnbbbbbnnnnnnnnbbbnnn nnn getting the hang of it

edit: possibly something to do with doggone touchpad, this just posted itself

1. What does "obstreperous" mean?

Obstreperous means noisy, unruly, or difficult to control.

2. What is the purpose of using bold, italic, and underline in writing?

The use of bold, italic, and underline can help emphasize certain words or phrases and make them stand out in a text.

3. Can using too many formatting options like bold, italic, and underline be distracting?

Yes, using too many formatting options can be distracting and make the text difficult to read. It is important to use them sparingly and only when necessary.

4. Is "obstreperous bold italic underline" a commonly used phrase in scientific writing?

No, this phrase is not commonly used in scientific writing. It may be used in creative or informal writing styles.

5. How can I use "obstreperous bold italic underline" effectively in my writing?

If you choose to use this phrase in your writing, it is important to consider the context and purpose of your writing. Make sure that the use of these formatting options adds value to your content and is not just for decoration.