Obtaining a variable value from a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the value of ##\rho (\phi)## after finding the coefficients ##c_0## to ##c_5## of ##\sigma (\phi)## through the use of the FDIWO optimization algorithm. The writers imply that the integration in the equation for ##\rho (\phi)## should be performed numerically, rather than analytically. This approach would allow for the generation of a table of ##\rho (\phi)## values for different ##\phi## values.
baby_1
TL;DR Summary
The integral of a 5-th polynomial in the tangent form
Hello,

Please see this part of the article.

Pb4u7.png

I need to obtain the ##\rho (\phi)## value after obtaining the c0 to c5 constants of the ##\sigma (\phi)##. But as you can see after finding the coefficients, solving Eq.(1) could be a demanding job(I wasn't able to calculate the integral of Eq(1) and obtain the ##\rho (\phi)## ). I need to know how to find ##\rho (\phi)## values for different ##\phi## values.

$$\frac{1}{\rho (\phi )}\frac{d\rho (\phi)}{d\phi}= \\
tan(\frac{c_{0}+c_{1}\phi+c_{2}\phi^2+c_{3}\phi^3+c_{4}\phi^4+c_{5}\phi^5}{2})=>
\\ln(\rho (\phi ))=\int (tan(\frac{c_{0}+c_{1}\phi+c_{2}\phi^2+c_{3}\phi^3+c_{4}\phi^4+c_{5}\phi^5}{2})d\phi)$$

Or, I follow the wrong way.

The writers implied that after finding the ##\sigma (\phi)## the ##\rho (\phi)## could find easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
baby_1 said:
The writers implied that after finding the ##\sigma (\phi)## the ##\rho (\phi)## could find easily.
Your derived equation looks correct, provided you add the appropriate limits of integration. But I'm not convinced that the authors' "find easily" implication refers to performing the integration analytically in closed form. Instead, they may intend the integral to be performed numerically, which looks to be pretty straight forward once you have the values of the six C coefficients. The C's are apparently found from something called the "FDIWO synthesis technique". Is FDIWO a numerical technique involving something like FDTD or finite-elements? If so, that would suggest also using a numerical approach to evaluate your integral.

Likes baby_1
I appreciate your help.
Yes, I don't understand how they obtain ##\rho (\phi)## for different values of ##\phi## -because this equation should be solved for many values of ##\phi##.

No, the FDIWO is the acronym of frequency-dependent IWO- an optimization algorithm to find the C0 to Cn values-.

Last edited:
baby_1 said:
Yes, I don't understand they obtain ##\rho (\phi)## for different values of ##\phi## -because this equation should be solved for many values of ##\phi##.
With a computer you can perform this integration repeatedly and rapidly to generate a numerical table of ##\rho (\phi)## values.
baby_1 said:
No, the FDIWO is the acronym of frequency-dependent IWO- an optimization algorithm to find the C0 to Cn values-.
But my question was how this optimization is performed: analytically or numerically? Either way, once you have the C's, use repeated numerical integration to get your table of values.

Likes baby_1
Thank you very much for your response. Yes, the optimization is performed numerically. So it means I should use the numerical form of the above equation instead of the analytical form.

Likes renormalize

1. How do you obtain the value of a variable from a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form?

To obtain the value of a variable from a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form, you can use the process of substitution. This involves substituting the value of the variable into the polynomial and solving for the resulting equation.

2. What is the difference between a 5-th degree polynomial and a polynomial in the tangent form?

A 5-th degree polynomial is a polynomial with the highest degree term being raised to the power of 5, while a polynomial in the tangent form involves using the tangent function to represent the polynomial.

3. Can a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form have more than one variable?

Yes, a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form can have more than one variable. In this case, you would need to know the values of all the variables in order to obtain the value of the variable you are interested in.

4. How do you graph a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form?

To graph a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form, you can use a graphing calculator or graphing software. First, you would need to enter the equation in the tangent form and then specify the range of values for the variables. The resulting graph would show the curve of the polynomial.

5. What are some real-life applications of a 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form?

A 5-th degree polynomial in the tangent form can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the growth of a population, or the demand for a product over time.