Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bug Occasional server problems?

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1

Borek

Staff: Mentor

During chat last Sunday there was a short - perhaps two minutes - period when server was not responding and we were all kicked out. It was not just chat, it was not possible to browse forums at the same time, I have seen it in person and someone else (Jonathan?) confirmed once we logged back.

Similar situation just a few minutes ago - for about a minute or two server was not responding.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

berkeman

I've experienced some slow responses over the last two days as well. Generally delays only in the 5-10 second range though.

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    Do you remember the time? Might be linked to some scheduled process.

5. Jan 28, 2010 #4

Borek

No, sorry. Should be easy to locate in chat logs if they exist - everyone left suddenly.

Similar situation happened yesterday, but I don't know what hour it was as well. For at least 2 minutes PF were not responding. That could be just here. Next time I will try to record time.

6. Jan 28, 2010 #5
    The server appeared to be down for me around 10:30am this morning eastern US time.

7. Jan 28, 2010 #6

Evo

It was down for me around 9:10am CST this morning, lasted about 5 minutes. It seems to be doing this a lot lately.

8. Jan 28, 2010 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sunday it was somewhere between 10 pm - 11 pm Amsterdam time that the server hiccuped.

9. Jan 28, 2010 #8

berkeman

Just happened to me at 1100 PST. Lasted 15 seconds or so.

10. Jan 28, 2010 #9

berkeman

Happened again at 1630 PST. Another 15 second glitch.

11. Jan 28, 2010 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Again tonight, just now. Couldn't load the page for about 10 minutes.

12. Jan 28, 2010 #11

berkeman

Me too, but my delay started at 1747 and lasted for about 2 minutes...

13. Jan 28, 2010 #12

Evo

Yes, we were down a few minutes just now.

14. Jan 29, 2010 #13

Dembadon

Gold Member

Hopefully this will help:

11:33 PM Pacific time today; site was unavailable for about 3 minutes. I ran a couple traceroutes to this site and have pasted the output below followed by my comments:

I think this may be an issue with another facility. Notice on hop 10 that the request timed out. I don't know what gateway hop 10 is, but I'd assume it's either just before the Dallas hub or right after. The traffic eventually makes it to the site, but it probably had to find another route which likely explains the timeouts and/or site unavailable instances.

If someone else can run a traceroute and paste their results we can see if there is a timeout around the same gateway.

15. Jan 29, 2010 #14

Borek

No problems atm, but it seems I am not routed through mysterious 10 - and I have seen server not responding as well. Which doesn't mean much.

16. Jan 29, 2010 #15

Dembadon

Gold Member

The hop count will be different based on one's location.

I may be on a rabbit trail, but I figured if there were timeouts for other users just before or after traffic hits Dallas, then it might lead to something.

17. Jan 29, 2010 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I stepped away for a bit, and tried to come back to PF before 5:20 Eastern just now. No dice - then it became "available".

18. Jan 29, 2010 #17
    same here; no contact between 22:03 UTM and just now

19. Jan 29, 2010 #18

Borek

I know - what I am aiming at is that even if packets to me are not routed through the same server that timed out in your case (I called it 10 just to name it somehow), I have seen PF not rsponding - so it is unlikely that this particular server is a reason.

20. Jan 29, 2010 #19

Dembadon

Gold Member

Ahhh. I see what you were saying now. :smile:

I also agree with your summation.

21. Feb 1, 2010 #20

berkeman

1742 PST just now. 30 second delay opening PF window. Also generally slow at the moment...

22. Feb 2, 2010 #21

Mark44

10:40 PST local time. Very slow opening PF windows, with IE timing out on some requests.

23. Feb 2, 2010 #22
    It could be just a swamped server with some 3700 people giving it requests. Unfortunately I can't login to the server at the moment to investigate.

24. Feb 4, 2010 #23

berkeman

1707 PST, a 1-minute delay, and then this database error:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook