Oceanic plateau like Java Ontang

• Java
  • Thread starter cph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Java
In summary, the conversation discussed the formation of oceanic plateaus before and after the era of plate tectonics. It was mentioned that plateaus, such as the Ontong Java Plateau, can be formed by mantle plumes, which are driven by deep Earth forces that also contribute to plate tectonics. The Tibetan Plateau was given as an example of a plateau created by the collision of two plates. It was also questioned whether Mars could serve as a model for what the pre-tectonic era looked like on Earth and if there are plateaus on Mars. The conversation concluded that plate tectonics may have started in the middle or later Archean era for Earth.
cph
Were there oceanic plateau formation for before plate tectonics era? Perhaps later, plateau gave rise to terrenes along west coast of N. America. Might Mars serve as a model of what pre-tectonic era looked like on Earth? Are there plateau on Mars? If not, then this would seem consistent with such plateau formation for after commencement of plate tectonics. Plate tectonics might have started in middle or later Archean (1-2 Byrs after origin) for Earth.

Technology news on Phys.org
This is an interesting question that I'm not 100% sure what the correct answer is, but some clarification as to what you are asking will help.

The Ontong Java Plateau (OJP) is volcanic plateau. It is actually a large igneous province (LIP), like, for example the Deccan Traps. These are formed by mantle plumes, which can have their origin in the mid-mantle or as deep as the core-mantle boundary.

When you talk about plate tectonics creating a plateau the first and most obvious place that springs to mind is the Tibetan Plateau, which is the result of the collision between the Indian and Eurasian plates.

So, if you are asking about plateaus like the Tibetan Plateau then you need plate tectonics to create them.

For the the OJP, I think that strictly they could form without plate tectonics. BUT the deep Earth forces that create plume help to drive plate tectonics, so in practical terms I don;t think you get one without the other.

As for Mars... I'm afraid I can't help too much, I'm not too up on Martian Geology.

Hope this helps :smile:

1. What is an oceanic plateau?

An oceanic plateau is a large, relatively flat area of the ocean floor that rises above the surrounding seafloor. It is typically formed by volcanic activity and can range in size from a few hundred to thousands of square kilometers.

2. How is an oceanic plateau like Java Ontang formed?

An oceanic plateau like Java Ontang is formed through massive volcanic eruptions that release large amounts of lava onto the ocean floor. Over time, the lava cools and solidifies, creating a flat, elevated area on the seafloor.

3. Where can oceanic plateaus be found?

Oceanic plateaus can be found in various locations around the world, but they are most commonly found in the Pacific, Indian, and Atlantic Oceans. Examples include the Ontong Java Plateau, Shatsky Rise, and the Ninety East Ridge.

4. What are the potential impacts of oceanic plateaus?

Oceanic plateaus can have significant impacts on ocean currents, marine ecosystems, and even global climate. They can also be potential sources of valuable mineral resources, such as oil and gas deposits.

5. How do scientists study oceanic plateaus?

Scientists study oceanic plateaus using various methods, including sonar mapping, drilling, and collecting rock samples. They also use satellite imagery and computer models to better understand the formation and evolution of these unique features.