Odd Perfect number must have the form r^{4n+1} p^2

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Alone
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Alone
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am looking for a textbook (or if you want you can explain it to me) that explains how we show that an odd perfect number if of the above form.

I checked it in Disckosn's History of number theory vol 1 page 19, but didn't quite grasped it (I believe he quite hand waved this proof).

Thanks in advance, Alan.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Alan said:
Hi, I am looking for a textbook (or if you want you can explain it to me) that explains how we show that an odd perfect number if of the above form.

I checked it in Disckosn's History of number theory vol 1 page 19, but didn't quite grasped it (I believe he quite hand waved this proof).

Thanks in advance, Alan.

You can find an account of Euler's proof >>here<<

CB