Oh god Gauss-Jordan Elimination.

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of elementary row operations in solving matrix problems. The three allowed operations were identified as replacing a row by a nonzero multiple of itself, exchanging two rows, and adding a nonzero multiple of one row to another row. It was also clarified that dividing by a number is equivalent to multiplying by its reciprocal.
Axmann
1. Homework Statement :

kmBrE.png

2. Relevant equations:

Not applicable.

3. The attempt at a solution:

This is where the problem begins. It's funny, because I used to be good
at matrices back in high school, but when I look at them now, I don't
understand why I keep getting different answers when I do different
elementary row operations. I know how to get my values in reduced
echelon form and such, but my problem is knowing which row operations
are "allowed". Any assistance on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, wait. Let me ask a quick question.

Can you add or subtract a single number to or from a single row? Or can you only multiply/divide rows, and only add-subtract rows from/to each other?

no we cannot add or subtract a single number from a row.
we can add multiples of other rows to a single row

There are three operations:
1) Replace a row/equation by a nonzero multiple of itself. For example, you could multiply both sides of one row/equation by 2, say.
2) You can exchange (swap) two rows/equations.
3) You can add a nonzero multiple of one row/equation to another row/equation.

Mark44 said:
There are three operations:
1) Replace a row/equation by a nonzero multiple of itself. For example, you could multiply both sides of one row/equation by 2, say.
2) You can exchange (swap) two rows/equations.
3) You can add a nonzero multiple of one row/equation to another row/equation.
Thank you! That definitely helps! I'm getting answers that actually make sense now.

So, can you divide both sides of a row by a nonzero number too, or only replace it with a nonzero multiple of itself?

I have no idea what you mean by "both sides of a row". However, "dividing by a number" is the same as "multiplying by the reciprocal of the number" so there is absolutely no difference between "divide both sides of a row by a nonzero number" and "replace it with a nonzero multiple of itself".

What is the purpose of Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

The purpose of Gauss-Jordan Elimination is to solve systems of linear equations by transforming the augmented matrix into reduced row-echelon form, making it easier to find the solution.

How does Gauss-Jordan Elimination work?

Gauss-Jordan Elimination involves performing elementary row operations on the augmented matrix, such as swapping rows, multiplying rows by a constant, and adding or subtracting rows. These operations are used to create zeros in certain positions of the matrix, ultimately leading to the reduced row-echelon form.

What is the difference between Gauss-Jordan Elimination and Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination only involves transforming the augmented matrix into row-echelon form, while Gauss-Jordan Elimination continues the process to achieve reduced row-echelon form. This means that Gauss-Jordan Elimination produces a unique solution, while Gaussian Elimination may result in infinite solutions or no solution at all.

What are the advantages of using Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

Gauss-Jordan Elimination is advantageous because it is a systematic and efficient method for solving systems of linear equations. It also provides a clear and concise solution, making it easier to interpret and verify.

Can Gauss-Jordan Elimination be used to solve non-linear equations?

No, Gauss-Jordan Elimination is only applicable to linear equations. Non-linear equations involve higher order terms, such as exponents or logarithms, which require different methods for solving.