On error analysis of my practical

In summary, the conversation discusses the results of a practical experiment to calculate the speed of light using LED, oscilloscope, and varying fiber optics cable. The equation used is c = n * lambda/t and the aim is to plot a graph of L versus time. The issue at hand is calculating the error of y, with the question of whether to use Least Square Method or LSM (where each y has its own sigma_i). It is noted that the gradient is the speed of light and therefore the graph should be a straight line.
Delzac
[Urgent]On error analysis of my practical

Homework Statement

well, the aim of the practical is to calculate the speed of light using LED, oscilloscope and varying fiber optics cable.

i have my results as follows :

L /m t1 t2 t3 t4 t5 t6 t7 t8 t9 t10 taverage

5.00 (28 30 28 28 28 28 28 28 30 28) 28.4

10.00 (60 62 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60) 60.2

15.00 (76 76 78 76 76 76 76 76 76 76) 76.2

20.00 (102 100 102 102 102 102 102 102 100 102) 101.6

The equation used is [tex]c = n \frac{\lambda}{t}[/tex]

We are to plot a graph of L versus time.

The problem now is calculating the error of y.

Do we use

Least Square Method( where [tex]\sigma_i = \sigma[/tex]) OR
Least Square Method( Where each y, has its own [tex]\sigma_i[/tex])

We know that L is the y-axis in this case, however no multiple values of L has been taken. So every y, has the same [tex]\sigma[/tex]. However, time has been taken mutiple times, do we use LSM(Where each y, has its own [tex]\sigma_i[/tex]) on it? But time is the x-axis in this case.

So what should i use or do?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyway, since gradient is speed of light, the graph has to be a straight line.

I would first like to commend you on your detailed and thorough approach to your practical experiment. It is important to carefully consider and analyze any potential errors in your results in order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of your findings.

In regards to your question about calculating the error of y, it would depend on the specific requirements and guidelines of your experiment. Generally, the least square method is used to calculate the overall error in a set of data, taking into account the errors in both the dependent and independent variables. In this case, since the dependent variable is L and the independent variable is time, you could use the LSM method where each y has its own \sigma_i. This would take into account any potential errors in the measurement of time, which could affect the accuracy of your results.

However, if your experiment does not require such a detailed analysis of errors, you could also use the simpler approach of using the overall \sigma for all y values, as you have suggested. This would still provide a general estimate of the error in your results.

Ultimately, the best approach would be to consult with your instructor or refer to any guidelines provided for your experiment to determine the most appropriate method for calculating the error in your results. It is always important to follow the recommended procedures in order to ensure the validity of your findings. Good luck with your analysis!

1. What is error analysis?

Error analysis is a process in which we examine the accuracy and precision of experimental measurements. It involves identifying and quantifying the sources of error in an experiment, and determining how these errors may affect the results.

2. Why is error analysis important?

Error analysis is important because it allows scientists to evaluate the reliability of their experimental data. By identifying and minimizing sources of error, we can improve the accuracy and precision of our measurements, leading to more accurate and trustworthy results.

3. How is error analysis performed?

Error analysis is typically performed by comparing the measured values to the accepted or expected values, and calculating the difference between them. This difference is then used to determine the percentage or absolute error of the measurement. Other statistical methods may also be used to analyze the data and identify sources of error.

4. What are the common sources of error in experiments?

There are many potential sources of error in experiments, including human error, equipment limitations, environmental factors, and systematic errors. Human error can occur due to mistakes in measurement or recording, while equipment limitations can lead to inaccurate readings. Environmental factors, such as temperature or humidity, can also affect experimental results. Systematic errors, which are consistent and repeatable, can arise from faulty equipment, incorrect calibration, or flawed experimental design.

5. How can errors be minimized in experiments?

To minimize errors in experiments, it is important to identify and control potential sources of error. This can involve using proper techniques and procedures, calibrating equipment, and repeating measurements multiple times. It is also important to carefully record data and perform statistical analysis to identify any systematic errors. Additionally, peer review and replication of experiments can help to ensure the accuracy and reliability of results.