On Finding Lie Algebra Representations

In summary, the speaker is attempting to construct the generators of a semi-simple Lie algebra in matrix form, specifically for su(3). They have found the root vectors and written out the commutation relations in the Cartan-Weyl basis, which allowed them to determine the structure constants and write down the matrices for the regular (adjoint) representation. They are now confused about how to find different matrix representations using the commutation relations, and are wondering if they need to clarify any information. The expert summarizer suggests using a book on the representations of Lie Algebras for a more efficient method.
antibrane
What I am trying to do is start with a Dynkin diagram for a semi-simple Lie algebra, and construct the generators of the algebra in matrix form. To do this with su(3) I found the root vectors and wrote out the commutation relations in the Cartan-Weyl basis. This gave me the structure constants of the algebra and then I was able to write down the matrices corresponding to the regular (adjoint) representation.

What I am confused about (assuming the above is a correct method) is how to find different matrix representations than this. The representation I am familiar with for su(3) consists of the "Gell-Man matrices" which are 3 dimensional and obviously my matrices from my construction are 8 dimensional.

How would I find different representations starting from the commutation relations? I know how to find them starting with the Lie Group. Let me know if I need to clarify something--thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
With the commutator relations you have all which is necessary. Any finite dimensional representation is a Lie algebra homomorphism ##\varphi\, : \,\mathfrak{g} \longrightarrow \mathfrak{gl}(V)##. This is a system of quadratic equations and you are looking for the solutions. If ##A_X## is the matrix of ##\varphi(X)## we have to solve ##[A_X,A_Y]=A_{[X,Y]}## for all ##X,Y##. However, this will be a lot of manual work to do.

It is easier to use a book about the representations of Lie Algebras, see e.g. the source list in
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/lie-algebras-a-walkthrough-the-representations/where you can also find as an example the classification of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2,\mathbb{C})## representations and use the corresponding theorems.

1. What is a Lie algebra representation?

A Lie algebra representation is a mathematical structure that describes the action of a Lie algebra on a vector space. It consists of a set of matrices or linear transformations that satisfy specific algebraic properties.

2. Why is finding Lie algebra representations important?

Finding Lie algebra representations is important because it allows us to study the structure and properties of a Lie algebra through its action on a vector space. It also has applications in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as quantum mechanics and differential geometry.

3. How do you find Lie algebra representations?

There is no general method for finding all Lie algebra representations, but there are several techniques that can be used. These include the method of highest weight, the method of Dynkin diagrams, and the method of root spaces. The specific method used depends on the Lie algebra and the desired properties of the representation.

4. What are some examples of Lie algebra representations?

Some examples of Lie algebra representations include the adjoint representation, the fundamental representation, and the defining representation. These are commonly used in the study of Lie algebras and have applications in physics and other areas of mathematics.

5. Are all Lie algebras able to have representations?

No, not all Lie algebras have representations. A Lie algebra is said to be simple if it does not have any non-trivial proper ideals. These types of Lie algebras do not have any finite-dimensional representations. However, there are techniques for finding infinite-dimensional representations of simple Lie algebras.