1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online education revolution needs fixing

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1
    The Online Education Revolution Drifts Off Course
    http://www.npr.org/2013/12/31/258420151/the-online-education-revolution-drifts-off-course

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2
    You mean all those people commenting on Khan's videos didn't really learn how to factor after 30 seconds when their idiot teachers had been trying to teach them for 6 years?

I've watched a lot of online lectures and they're useful and did indeed help me, but nothing can live up to the hype that surrounded MOOC. Was it just a bunch of "entrepreneurs" who saw a way to make a quick buck while being able to mask it as philanthropy? It sure seemed like that at times.

Also, (near) universal literacy was supposed to lead to a utopia, projectors in the classrooms were supposed to revolutionalize learning, ditto for graphing calculators, language labs, laptops, smartboards, flipped classrooms, etc. Have any of them lived up to the hype?

4. Jan 8, 2014 #3
    This is pretty right on. Although learning technology has made it easier for me to organise my teaching, the real bottleneck in the learning process is always going to be the work done by the student. This is a problem, because sitting down with a pen and paper and working though a great many examples isn't sexy or exciting or easy (at least it isn't for many people). Yet what many learners expect of a teacher is pretty much simply entertainment. There's this idea that technology automatically makes education better and that somehow wrapping stuff up in the latest delivery format will enable people to just sit back and soak up understanding. Of course, it turns out that things don't work that way and so learners end up disappointed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook