Online education question [physics]

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining an internationally accredited diploma through online courses in fields like social sciences and physics. The Open University in the UK is mentioned as one of the few options for an online physics bachelor's degree, although it may still require some in-person laboratory work. There is some debate about the value and credibility of online degrees in the natural sciences and engineering fields.
Salvador
Hi, I've recently heard about some education that one can attend through online courses and get a diplome at the end which is internationally accredited, this is just an example and maybe they offer this because that education is in social sciences , I wonder how it is with areas like physics? I do understand that in physics in almoust all areas one needs to do some lab work etc which is impossible to do at ones home but still are there any such things in physics like an online diploma or just courses and educational help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can maybe be of help after reading some of the other many, many threads asking this same question. You will need to tell us why you want to get a degree. If it's just for fun, and therefore the university's reputation doesn't matter, you have options. If you want to go to graduate school afterwards, you may be toast.

Likes CalcNerd
The only place that I remember reading about here, where one can get an online physics bachelor's degree, is the Open University which is based in the UK. I think even that is not completely online and you have to do some laboratory work at a partner "bricks and mortar" university.

I don't understand what you mean Dishsoap? Well my idea was , can someone get a first level university education (by first level I mean bachelor's or there are possibly other names given to it ).
I am studying another bachelor online , but that isn't about physics.So in other areas it's more likely to do so through online courses but can something along the lines happen in physics?

jtbell said:
The only place that I remember reading about here, where one can get an online physics bachelor's degree, is the Open University which is based in the UK. I think even that is not completely online and you have to do some laboratory work at a partner "bricks and mortar" university.

Most residential components have been canceled in relation to recent higher education public funding cuts. As far as I know there are not any left in physics. Nonetheless, based on the experience of myself and many others, a degree from the Open University is sufficient for admission to most (or all) Masters physics programs in Europe.

You'll find out 99.9% of online degrees, especially in the natural sciences/engineering, aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I don't know about Open University, I've looked through some of their modules and they seem okay on the US version of the website, although I would be worried about the lack of labs sections, research experience, and all that. If other's vouch for them, then it might be a good cheap way to go.

1. What is online education in physics?

Online education in physics is a form of learning where students can access course materials, lectures, and assignments through the internet. This allows for remote learning and flexibility in scheduling.

2. Is online education in physics as effective as traditional in-person learning?

Multiple studies have shown that online education can be just as effective as traditional in-person learning, if not more so. This is because online courses often incorporate interactive elements and allow for more personalized learning experiences.

3. What are the advantages of online education in physics?

Some advantages of online education in physics include flexibility in scheduling, access to a wider range of course options, and the ability to learn at your own pace. Online courses also often incorporate interactive elements, making learning more engaging.

4. How do online physics courses typically assess student learning?

Online physics courses may use a combination of methods for assessing student learning, such as quizzes, exams, online discussions, and assignments. Some courses may also incorporate virtual labs or simulations to assess practical skills.

5. Can I receive the same level of support and interaction with instructors in an online physics course?

Yes, online physics courses often offer similar levels of support and interaction with instructors as traditional in-person courses. Instructors are typically available through online platforms, email, and virtual office hours to answer questions and provide feedback on assignments.