1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Online education question [physics]

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1
    Hi, I've recently heard about some education that one can attend through online courses and get a diplome at the end which is internationally accredited, this is just an example and maybe they offer this because that education is in social sciences , I wonder how it is with areas like physics? I do understand that in physics in almoust all areas one needs to do some lab work etc which is impossible to do at ones home but still are there any such things in physics like an online diploma or just courses and educational help ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2015 #2
    I can maybe be of help after reading some of the other many, many threads asking this same question. You will need to tell us why you want to get a degree. If it's just for fun, and therefore the university's reputation doesn't matter, you have options. If you want to go to graduate school afterwards, you may be toast.

4. Dec 28, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The only place that I remember reading about here, where one can get an online physics bachelor's degree, is the Open University which is based in the UK. I think even that is not completely online and you have to do some laboratory work at a partner "bricks and mortar" university.

5. Dec 29, 2015 #4
    I don't understand what you mean Dishsoap? Well my idea was , can someone get a first level university education (by first level I mean bachelor's or there are possibly other names given to it ).
    I am studying another bachelor online , but that isnt about physics.So in other areas it's more likely to do so through online courses but can something along the lines happen in physics?

6. Dec 29, 2015 #5
    Most residential components have been cancelled in relation to recent higher education public funding cuts. As far as I know there are not any left in physics. Nonetheless, based on the experience of myself and many others, a degree from the Open University is sufficient for admission to most (or all) Masters physics programs in Europe.

7. Dec 29, 2015 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll find out 99.9% of online degrees, especially in the natural sciences/engineering, aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I don't know about Open University, I've looked through some of their modules and they seem okay on the US version of the website, although I would be worried about the lack of labs sections, research experience, and all that. If other's vouch for them, then it might be a good cheap way to go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook