Online Status Bug with Member Squares?

• Bug
  • Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
In summary, there is a bug where pictures of mentors sometimes appear immediately after someone logs out, and sometimes not. Testing at different browsers shows that it depends on the browser and the time of day.
Psinter
There is this square that says Members Online Now where pics of Mentors appear. I noticed that at times, I log out and a picture of a Mentor appears immediately there. I log in and it's gone. Log out again and it appears. Log in, gone. Log out - it's there!

Is that a bug? :oldconfused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a caching issue. One version is slightly outdated.

Edit: No, turned out to be a bug, see below.

Last edited:
mfb said:
Sounds like a caching issue. One version is slightly outdated.
I see. I wonder whether it is on my side or server side.

I just tested at two separate web browsers and at this very instant you appear online in another web browser I have open and me not logged in, but on this one in which I am logged in you don't appear online no matter how much I refresh the page. :confused: I deleted the history and cache on this browser where I am logged in except the cookies of course (because otherwise I would go offline), but still.

Oh, then the bug could be more interesting, because I should not appear as logged in. Maybe logged out the invisibility setting gets ignored.

I thought that it was that some folks (like me, mwhahaha) hide their status from logged in members. Once you’re logged out though, you can see all the hidden members. That’s why some members’ names are greyed out.

mfb said:
Oh, then the bug could be more interesting, because I should not appear as logged in. Maybe logged out the invisibility setting gets ignored.
Maybe. I thought that too.

I thought that maybe some members were using invisible setting, but that such setting (because of the bug) only affected logged in users so that they would not see online users with the setting. For those that are offline, they could see everyone online. And thought that if it wasn't a bug in one way it was in another. :smile:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I thought that it was that some folks (like me, mwhahaha) hide their status from logged in members. Once you’re logged out though, you can see all the hidden members. That’s why some members’ names are greyed out.
lol. I noticed too that some were greyed out. But I thought they grey color was just to make it easier to read in between all the cramped text.

A privacy setting might affect what you are seeing
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/privacy

Greg Bernhardt said:
A privacy setting might affect what you are seeing
https://www.physicsforums.com/account/privacy
I don't get it. :oldconfused: Does it means it's not a bug?

Psinter said:
I don't get it. :oldconfused: Does it means it's not a bug?
You can set some privacy for what members and guests see of you. mfb might have it set where members can see him online, but guests can't. This might explain what you are seeing.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You can set some privacy for what members and guests see of you. mfb might have it set where members can see him online, but guests can't. This might explain what you are seeing.
Ohhh. I see him when I'm logged out (as a guest), but not when I'm logged in (as a member). That is the opposite of your example. I'm not sure if that can happen with the settings you mention.

But you know better how it works :smile:, I have no idea what are those settings.

Greg Bernhardt said:
You cannot set it separately for different visitor groups. Either you show your online status or you don't. But apparently guests are able to ignore that setting - a right that they should not have.

Now it looks really empty. :DD

Related to Online Status Bug with Member Squares?

1. What are the common signs of an online status bug?

Some common signs of an online status bug may include incorrect or inconsistent display of online status, frequent disconnections, and unauthorized access to accounts.

2. How can I confirm if my online status is affected by a bug?

You can confirm if your online status is affected by a bug by checking if the issue persists across different devices or browsers, and by contacting the website or platform's customer support for assistance.

3. Are there any troubleshooting steps I can take to fix an online status bug?

Yes, you can try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, updating your browser or app to the latest version, and logging out and back in to your account. If the issue persists, it is best to report the bug to the platform's customer support.

4. Can a bug in my online status affect my account's security?

In some cases, yes. If the bug allows unauthorized access to your account, it can put your account's security at risk. It is important to report any suspicious activity or unauthorized access to the platform's customer support immediately.

5. How long does it usually take for a reported online status bug to be fixed?

The time it takes to fix a reported online status bug may vary depending on the complexity of the issue. Some bugs can be fixed quickly, while others may take longer. It is best to follow up with the platform's customer support for updates on the status of the bug.