Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operating on spin angular momenta

1. Dec 12, 2008 #1
    how am i supposed to carry out say, a lowering operation?for example:S_(upward spin & upward spin) or S_(downward spin & upward spin). and raising or lowering a combination of spin,what do they mean anyway?i want the physical feel of the situation.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

raising and lowering of spin and angular momenta should be quite intuitive I guess, that it is an operation which increases or decreases the projection of a certain angular momentum about a fixed axis (the standard in almost all quantum mechanics is that one has the Z-axis as reference).

The length of the angular momentum vector is always fixed, and due to quantum mechanics, only certain projections on axes are possible (c.f with a "classical" vector which can have a continous setup of projections)

A rasing, or lowering, operation just changes that projection, but of course by a disctrete amount.

If you want, provide a specific situation where you have trouble, and we'll try to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?