Trying to understand why electrons fill orbitals the way they do

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electrons filling orbitals with opposite spins due to the Pauli Exclusion Principle. Hund's rule explains the preference for anti-symmetric spatial wave functions. The electron's wave function is not a sine wave and there are no orbits, as this outdated model has been replaced by a 3-dimensional probability distribution. The explanation for the Pauli Exclusion Principle can be found in Quantum Field Theory, but for basic Quantum Mechanics, it is an axiom.
physicurious
TL;DR Summary
Trying to physics
Ok, I'm a little hesitant to post in the quantum physics forum here because I don't want anyone to make the mistake that I know much about quantum physics :biggrin:

But anyways I've been reading some bits lately about electricity and magnetism trying to understand why permanent magnets work the way they do, why conductors are conductors, what reactions are happening in batteries, etc

This lead me to looking at different elements, their electron configurations, and what kinds of spin electrons of different elements have in their outermost shells.

And that got me thinking - why do electrons first fill orbitals 1 at a time with all electrons having the same spin, then pair with opposite spins?

I remember back in my college chemistry course it was really briefly explained by the pauli exclusion principle - simply that no two things can have the same quantum state. So two electrons together must then have opposite spin.

Ok sure! But wait! This really doesn't explain anything. It's just a rule, or perhaps an observation. Thinking about it more I'm feeling like there must be a better conceptual reason for why this happens.

I'm thinking that the elctron's spin will be accompanied by a magnetic field and this is probably why two electrons are always paired with opposite spins. I wonder if they had the same spin then would they be repelled like trying to press together two north poles of a magnet? Although if I think about this a bit more then it seems like if they did have the same spin that would create a magnetic field that would attract the both of them together.

I dont know am I on the right track here? Right direction, wrong track? Feeling like there's something here but just not quite grasping it.

Physics news on Phys.org
physicurious said:
And that got me thinking - why do electrons first fill orbitals 1 at a time with all electrons having the same spin, then pair with opposite spins?
It's more accurate to say that the electrons form a system of indistinguishable fermions. To which the PEP (Pauli Exclusion Principle) applies.

Heuristically, this means no two electrons can have the same overall quantum state, which is defined by four quantum numbers : principal/energy level (##n##), orbital angular momentum (##l##), magnetic (##m##) and spin (##s##).

Moreover, there is a restriction on the values of ##l## and ##m## corresponding to the energy level ##n##, which limits the number of electrons at each energy level.

For example, for the lowest energy level (##n = 1##), both ##l## and ##m## must be zero. That allows only two electrons: one with each spin.

There is lots of university level material about this online.

physicurious said:
Ok sure! But wait! This really doesn't explain anything. It's just a rule, or perhaps an observation. Thinking about it more I'm feeling like there must be a better conceptual reason for why this happens.
The PEP can be derived from Quantum Field Theory. But, in basic QM it is an axiom.
physicurious said:
I dont know am I on the right track here? Right direction, wrong track? Feeling like there's something here but just not quite grasping it.
The wrong track. You need QFT to explain the PEP any further.

Likes vanhees71
😭

Well at least I know now where the conceptual understanding for the Pauli exclusion principle would be found. Not nearly as satisfying as the answer I was hoping for. Can't help but think of that Oscar Wilde quote "The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple"

Likes Frimus and PeroK
physicurious said:
why do electrons first fill orbitals 1 at a time with all electrons having the same spin, then pair with opposite spins?
It is called Hund's rule. (Just looked it up and discovered that there are actually three Hund's rules, this being the first one, see for example Gordon Baym: "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics", pp 456ff.) When the spin-part of the multi-electron wave function is symmetric, the spatial part must be anti-symmetric under exchange of two electrons. Because the Coulomb interaction is much stronger than the magnetic interaction between the spins, it is energetically favourable that the anti-symmetry of the spatial wave function tends to keep the electrons farther apart.

on a similar vein of thought..does the electrons wave form need to meet and "mesh" neatly so that a whole number of sine waves are around its orbits circumference?

physicurious said:
I've been reading some bits lately about electricity and magnetism
Where? Please give specific references.

maximdogger said:
on a similar vein of thought..does the electrons wave form need to meet and "mesh" neatly so that a whole number of sine waves are around its orbits circumference?
The electron waves aren't sine waves and there aren't any orbits. (These were features of Bohr's 1913 model of the hydrogen atom, but that model has long since been discarded.) Electron orbitals are 3-dimensional probability distributions.

Likes vanhees71
i am trying to understand the harmonics. much easier if electron waves "join" on the ends, and are a whole number in a orbit.

maximdogger said:
i am trying to understand the harmonics.
The relevant harmonics are spherical harmonics, not sine waves.

maximdogger said:
much easier if electron waves "join" on the ends, and are a whole number in a orbit.
Again, there are no orbits and the mental picture you have of sine waves "joining" at the ends of an orbit is the wrong one.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
PeterDonis said:
The electron waves aren't sine waves and there aren't any orbits. (These were features of Bohr's 1913 model of the hydrogen atom, but that model has long since been discarded.) Electron orbitals are 3-dimensional probability distributions.
In atoms with more than 1 electron orbitals are ##3N \times 2##-dimensional probability distributions.

physicurious said:
Good for you, there always has to be a conceptual reason, usually multiple versions!
physicurious said:
I'm thinking that the elctron's spin will be accompanied by a magnetic field and this is probably why two electrons are always paired with opposite spins.
We know magnetic field cannot be the issue, since it connects with charge but we have the same principle for uncharged fermions, and we do not have the principle for integer spins. It has to be the half integer spin that does it.
physicurious said:
I wonder if they had the same spin then would they be repelled like trying to press together two north poles of a magnet? Although if I think about this a bit more then it seems like if they did have the same spin that would create a magnetic field that would attract the both of them together.
Don't look for any force at all, the PEP is not about some kind of "repulsion" between particles. One way to look at it is a kind of interference phenomenon. You have probably heard a lot about how particles must follow the rules of waves, and the main rule is that things that destructively interfere are prevented from happening. The PEP is like that, it is a prevention from happening that the two indistinguishable half integer spin particles could be in the same state. Integer spins don't interfere like that, half integer does. The great interpreter Richard Feynman once described it as being like what happens if you grab a coffee cup by its handle and twist your arm around a full twist, you can return the coffee cup to its original configuration but something is different, your arm is twisted. The cup has some kind of twisted connection to its environment, that is like what happens for half integer spin particles. So it's not their charge, it's that weird kind of twisted connection when two such particles are interchanged, this somehow causes the destructive interference that disallows them from being in the same state in the first place.
physicurious said:
Feeling like there's something here but just not quite grasping it.
It's nothing we're used to, as it doesn't happen on the scales of our experience. It's closer to things that mathematicians have envisioned, symmetry principles and the like. But then, why should the "quantum world" seem normal to us?

Likes vanhees71

1. Why do electrons fill orbitals in a specific order?

Electrons fill orbitals in a specific order because of the Pauli exclusion principle and Hund's rule. The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons can have the same set of quantum numbers, meaning they must have opposite spins. Hund's rule states that electrons will fill orbitals of the same energy level with parallel spins before pairing up.

2. How do electrons fill orbitals?

Electrons fill orbitals in accordance with the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons will fill the lowest energy orbitals first before moving to higher energy levels. This is also known as the "building up" principle.

3. Why do electrons fill orbitals in a specific shape?

The shape of orbitals is determined by the Schrödinger equation, which describes the probability of finding an electron in a specific location around the nucleus. The shapes of orbitals correspond to the different sublevels (s, p, d, f) and are a result of the different energy levels and quantum numbers.

4. What determines the number of electrons each orbital can hold?

The number of electrons each orbital can hold is determined by the quantum numbers. The principal quantum number (n) indicates the energy level and the maximum number of electrons that can occupy that level is given by 2n². For example, the first energy level (n=1) can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, the second energy level (n=2) can hold a maximum of 8 electrons, and so on.

5. How do electrons fill orbitals in multi-electron atoms?

In multi-electron atoms, electrons fill orbitals in a specific order based on their energy levels. The order of filling is determined by the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons will fill the lowest energy orbitals first before moving to higher energy levels. Additionally, the Pauli exclusion principle and Hund's rule also apply to multi-electron atoms, determining the specific arrangement of electrons in the orbitals.