Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operators and the position representation

1. Apr 5, 2013 #1
    I have a question about the formalism of quantum mechanics. For some operator A...

[itex]\langle x |A|\psi\rangle = A\langle x | \psi \rangle[/itex]

Can this be derived by sticking identity operators in or is it more a definition/postulate.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2013 #2
    Your right-hand side doesn't really make sense; operators act on states but on the right-hand side A is trying to act on a number. I think what you want is

##\langle x | A | \psi \rangle = \int dx' \langle x | A | x' \rangle \langle x' | \psi \rangle##

The left hand side is the position-space wave function of the state ##A | \psi \rangle## which the right-hand side gives in terms of the position-space wave function of the state ##| \psi \rangle## and the position-space matrix elements of the operator A.

For example, you can derive the position-space matrix elements of the momentum operator ##p## from the canonical commutation relation ##[x, p] = i\hbar##. You find

##\langle x | p | x' \rangle = i \hbar \delta ' (x' - x)##

Where ##\delta'(x)## is the derivative of the Dirac delta function. Plugging this into the above formula you get

##\langle x | p | \psi \rangle = \int dx' i \hbar \delta ' (x' - x) \langle x' | psi \rangle = -i \hbar \int dx' \delta(x' - x) \frac{d}{dx'} \langle x' | \psi \rangle = -i \hbar \frac{d}{dx} \langle x | \psi \rangle##

which tells you that the position space wave function of ##p | \psi \rangle## is -i hbar times the derivative of the position space wave function of ##| \psi \rangle##

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. Apr 5, 2013 #3
    Aaah that makes a lot more sense. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook