Opinion on Lockheed Martin's fusion "breakthrough"

• Thread starter Glenstr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential development of fusion technology and whether it will be a reality in the near future. The participants also mention a previous thread on the topic and inquire about any new developments since then.
Glenstr
I've been following this with interest, and would like the opinion on those here with a lot more knowledge of the subject than I am.

Depending on what you read, this is technology that will be available within a decade, or it's a pipe dream many decades away.

Is it something we'll see in our lifetimes?

In any event, should it pan out even close to the way they say in http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/15/us-lockheed-fusion-idUSKCN0I41EM20141015, I can see the changes it would bring as monumental.

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks - I'll read & follow that thread then. I thought I read about a breakthrough since then - but it was just an old article rehashed.

Likes berkeman

1. What is Lockheed Martin's fusion "breakthrough"?

Lockheed Martin's fusion "breakthrough" refers to their development of a compact fusion reactor (CFR) that aims to produce clean and virtually limitless energy by mimicking the same process that powers the sun.

2. How does Lockheed Martin's CFR differ from other fusion reactors?

Unlike other fusion reactors that are large and expensive to build, Lockheed Martin's CFR is much smaller and more affordable. It also uses a different approach, known as magnetized target fusion, which involves compressing and heating a plasma of deuterium and tritium fuel with strong magnetic fields.

3. What are the potential benefits of Lockheed Martin's fusion "breakthrough"?

If successful, Lockheed Martin's CFR could provide a clean and nearly limitless source of energy, reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and helping to combat climate change. It could also have significant applications in space exploration and propulsion.

4. What are the challenges and limitations of Lockheed Martin's CFR?

One of the main challenges of Lockheed Martin's CFR is the technical difficulty of achieving sustained fusion reactions at high temperatures and pressures. There are also concerns about the cost and feasibility of scaling up the technology for commercial use.

5. When can we expect to see Lockheed Martin's CFR in use?

Lockheed Martin has not provided a specific timeline for when their CFR will be available for use. The development of fusion technology is a complex and ongoing process, and it may take several more years or even decades before it is fully developed and commercially viable.