Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optimal algorithm for scanning servers.

1. Jun 25, 2014 #1
    I'm writing a piece of software and need to find an optimal algorithm for scanning servers. Basically I'm given a list of N IP addresses, each IP address has two associated datetime values: The time the server was last known to be online and the time of the last connection attempt.

Given these values I need to sort the list so the servers most likely to be online right now are at the top of the list.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2
    For sorting lists take a look at qsort I believe its nLogn and a lot of languages have built in functions for it :)

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    I don't think you understand my question. I'm not concerned with sorting algorithms, I need a way of choosing which server to attempt to connect to based on the last time it was online and the time I last tried to connect to it.

I think I have it figured out though. As a general rule, if the (time I last attempted to connect)* was recent and (the time the server was last online)* was not, then it's unlikely this server is online.
    If the situation is reversed then it's more likely the server is online right now.

* these times are relative to the max/min in each of these sets

I'm sure there's some mathematical formula that applies to scenarios like this. that's why I posted it in the maths programming forum, maybe I'll re-post in the maths forum! probably probability...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook