1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optional Physics modules - decision time

1. Sep 12, 2013 #1
    I was wondering if anyone would have an opinion on which four of the following final year Physics modules would be most useful to have completed post-graduation?

Solid State Physics
    Atomic and Molecular Physics
    Physics in Medicine
    Nuclear and Fundamental Particle Physics
    Electromagnetic Radiation and Modern Optics
    Astrophysics
    Photonics

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2013 #2
    I would say it really depends on your next step after graduation. If you are planning on graduate studies and have a focus in mind, tailor your final year accordingly so it demonstrates interest in the field and you get a jump start on your knowledge. It looks great for your application too.

If you are looking for industry jobs, the courses in solid state, medicine, photonics, and either AMO or optics would be more beneficial than astro or particle.

But ultimately, it's probably your final selection of courses at that institution so take things that are interesting to you that you know you'll enjoy. Professors are important in that respect as well.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3
    Not enough people answer these posts...

Where's all the quantum classes? Do you like astronomy?

PhysicsandSuch is definitely right about the most beneficial career wise, I think the EM / Modern Optics would be the best choice.

With these kinds of questions the best thing you can do is go and talk to the lecturers, tell them exactly where your interests lay and what you feel like you want to do next year. They should be more then happy to help you out.

5. Sep 22, 2013 #4
    Thanks guys for your posts, which are greatly appreciated. I've been discussing this with a couple of people, so I think I'm sorted now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook