Orbits in an inverse cubic force field with conserved energy and angular momentum

  • Thread starter Thread starter Odyssey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Urgent
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Odyssey
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Urgent! I really need help please!

Sorry for posting this question again. Lemme try to rephrase my question if it helps :frown: . Please help me get started on this question. I am really stuck and time is running out! :cry: I don't want the answer, I just need some pointers to get me going and headed in the right direction.

A particle moves in an inverse cubic, central, conservative force field. The force is
F = -Amr^-3,

where A = some constant,
m = mass of particle (pt. mass)
r = distance

I know that the angular momentum L (its 3 components) are conserved under a central force. The total energy is also conserved since the force is conservative.

L = m r^2 θ'
E = (1/2) m (r')^2 + (1/2) m r^2 θ'^2 + V(R)
The 2 equations above are written in polar coordinate form.

Is V(R) = - / F? (/ = integral...sorry) :frown:

How should I go about in describing the possible orbits of a particle moving under the influence of such a force? I have to consider the following cases: E = 0, E < 0, and E > 0, for non-zero angular momentum cases.

I need some desperate guidelines to get me started. Please give some advices. Thanks in advance! :redface:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is V(R)? If you need to display integrals or other math. symbols, use LaTex.