Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ORC for waste heat recovery in cars

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    hi there....to all the enthusiastic people of thermodynamics/thermal engineering. I am working on a project to recover the exhaust heat of a car,for which i require a great amount of guidelines from ur side.firstly,I am not sure as to howmuch of heat is wasted through the exhaust. Do u think i can use a primitive method which uses a water jacket(small dia pipe encircling atleast half the portion of the exhaust pipe)and find the mass flow rate and temp rise .I am not sure about the accuracy. Could u suggest some other method to measure the amount of heat rejected through exhaust.
    Secondly,do u think the exhaust heat is simply sufficient to run a compressor of the cars airconditioning system.

regards

ram

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Heat rejected to exhaust is found out by measuring fuel mass flow into the engine, air mass flow into the engine, exhaust temperature and ambient temperature. Just do a simple heat balance.

I doubt the heat you are able to recover would be sufficient to run air conditioning; you need air con just as much while the engine is idling.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    Is there any other way in which we can use the exhaust heat other than turbocharging???
    I feel the thermal efficiency of the engine can be increased to an greater extent by converting the heat from the exhaust into useful work.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. Oct 6, 2008 #4
  6. Oct 6, 2008 #5

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure, you could pass water through it and you'd have some warm water which you could clean your windows with. Or you could put a thermopile on it and power the LCD panel for the stereo. Or you could put a turbine in it, and use this to drive a compressor...

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

About the only thing, and I am sure this has been tried, is to use it to heat the incoming fuel. On our engines it's a good thing, but we don't run gasoline. I can't imagine anything really useful you could do with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?