Origin of geometric similarities between multipoles & AO's

In summary, the textbook "Modern Physical Organic Chemistry" by Anslyn and Dougherty (page 19) discusses the geometric similarities between atomic orbitals and multipoles. These similarities are based on the mutual dependence on spherical harmonics, with monopoles resembling s-orbitals, dipoles resembling p-orbitals, and so on. However, this analogy is simply used to illustrate phasing properties and does not accurately describe the polar character of orbitals. The idea of valence electrons as geometric poles is useful for explaining chemical bonds, but it is unclear to what extent this analogy reflects reality. The angular wave function determines the shapes of atomic orbitals, while the Ylm's play a role in other applications such as the
Steven Hanna
a textbook I'm reading has pointed out geometric similarities between atomic orbitals and multipoles. do these similarities originate from a mutual dependence on the spherical harmonics? if so, how does something like a dipole or a quadrupole depend on the Ylm's? Note that my I did my undergrad in chemistry, not physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give the reference of the textbook you are reading?

DrClaude said:
Can you give the reference of the textbook you are reading?

It's "modern physical organic chemistry" by anslyn and dougherty, page 19. The book states that "monopoles look like s-orbitals (spheres); dipoles look like p orbitals (a + end and a - end); quadrupoles look like d orbitals; octupoles look like f orbitals, etc. The analogy between multipoles and orbitals is just given to illustrate phasing properties; orbitals do not have polar character."

I think it is simply an analogy.

I agree on @DrClaude's opinion of an analogy.
Steven Hanna said:
The analogy between multipoles and orbitals is just given to illustrate phasing properties; orbitals do not have polar character."
The imagination of valence electrons as geometric poles is somehow better suited to explain chemical bonds than smooth shells would be. It almost automatically reminds on our plastic models we have for the elements and the way we write bonds.
However, would be interesting to know something about to which extend this analogy is a description of reality.

fresh_42 said:
I agree on @DrClaude's opinion of an analogy.

The imagination of valence electrons as geometric poles is somehow better suited to explain chemical bonds than smooth shells would be. It almost automatically reminds on our plastic models we have for the elements and the way we write bonds.
However, would be interesting to know something about to which extend this analogy is a description of reality.

right, that's what I'm curious about. I'm pretty sure that the shapes of AO's are pretty much determined by the angular wave function. And I also know that the Ylm's show up in a lot of other applications, e.g. rigid rotor. Could they also somehow be involved in generating the shapes of electric field patterns like those arising from dipole and quadrupole moments?

The angular-momentum eigenstates provide a multipole expansion of the solutions of the Schrödinger equation. This is in vary close analogy to a multipole expansion of any partial differential equation, including electrodynamics. Perhaps that's what the book's author had in mind.

1. What is the origin of geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals?

The origin of geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals lies in their shared mathematical basis. Both multipoles and atomic orbitals are described by spherical harmonics, which are solutions to the Laplace equation and possess spherical symmetry. This leads to similar geometric patterns and shapes in both multipoles and atomic orbitals.

2. How are the geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals related to their physical properties?

The geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals are directly related to their physical properties. The shape and orientation of multipoles and atomic orbitals determine their dipole moments, polarizability, and other properties. This is due to the fact that these properties are influenced by the charge distribution and symmetry of the molecules or atoms.

3. Are there any exceptions to the geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals?

Yes, there are exceptions to the geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals. Some molecules or atoms may have non-spherical symmetry, which can result in deviations from the expected geometric patterns. Additionally, higher order multipoles and atomic orbitals may have more complex shapes that do not have a direct correspondence to each other.

4. How do the geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals affect molecular bonding?

The geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals play a crucial role in molecular bonding. The overlapping of atomic orbitals creates molecular orbitals, which determine the strength and type of bonding between atoms. The geometric patterns of multipoles and atomic orbitals also influence the orientation of these molecular orbitals, leading to specific bonding arrangements.

5. Can the geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals be visualized?

Yes, the geometric similarities between multipoles and atomic orbitals can be visualized using various software and tools. Molecular visualization programs, such as VMD and PyMOL, allow for the 3D representation of atomic orbitals and multipoles. Additionally, there are also physical models and diagrams that can be used to illustrate the geometric similarities between these two entities.