Orthogonal equation plane help

In summary: This vector is denoted by \vec{P}_1 - \vec{P}_2. The two components of \vec{P}_1 - \vec{P}_2 are (2x, -5y, -2z). In summary, the equation of a plane through the point (-1, -2, -3) which is orthogonal to the line x=5+2t,y=-3-5t,z=2-2t is N*r = n*r_0. The coefficient of x is 2.
Whatupdoc
Find an equation of a plane through the point (-1, -2, -3) which is orthogonal to the line x=5+2t,y=-3-5t,z=2-2t
in which the coefficient of x is 2.

______________________________=0

i don't get this problem at all, but here's what i came up with after sitting here at the computer for a long time attempting to do this problem.

okay i know that by theorem, The vector a X b is orthogonal to both a and b.

a = <-1,-2,-3>
b= <2,-5,2>

that's all i came up, i attempted many different ways, but it doesn't make sense at all, can someone lend me a hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, here's a plan: Find out the general form of a vector parallel to the line. (it will be a function of two parameters; say you labeled them t_1 and t_2.)Write out the form of a vector that lies in the plane (it will be a function of x,y & z). Then take the dot product of those two vectors and set it equal to 0. This is the equation of your plane. Now chose a particular vector parrarel to the line such that the coeff. of x is 2... that is to say, set t_1 and t_2 such that the coeff. of x is 2.

I understand that this might sound very confusing but try your best to progress. If you get stuck, or if after thinking very hard about it, you still can't find a way, I'll help you some more. Good luck!

N*r = n*r_0 is the equation I am looking for right?

i am totally lost here, book doesn't help much either, can you help me start it.

What are N,r,n and r_0 ?!

Have you done more simple similar problems before? If you're new to this kind of problem then this one is a rought introduction IMO!

Let's start with the first step of my plan. Let's find the general form of a vector parallel to the line. The equation of the line is written in parametric form. It means that for any value of t, the point (x,y,z)=(5+2t,-3-5t,-2-2t) is on the line. Ok, so let's find two points on the line by setting t = t_1 and t = t_2. Our two points are [itex]\vec{P}_1 = (5+2t_1,-3-5t_1,-2-2t_1)[/itex] and [itex]\vec{P}_2 = (5+2t_2,-3-5t_2,-2-2t_2)[/itex]. By means of a simple drawing, you can convince yourself that [itex]\vec{P}_1 - \vec{P}_2 = (2(t_1-t_2), -5(t_1-t_2), -2(t_1-t_2))[/itex] is a vector parallel to the line (it is in fact IN/MERGED WITH the line).

Now, make sure you understand every step in this paragraph and do step 2 on your own. Supposing (x,y,z) is a point in the plan, use the same method as above (substraction) to find a vector that is parallel to the plan.

1. What is the definition of an orthogonal equation plane?

An orthogonal equation plane is a mathematical representation of a plane that is perpendicular to a given set of axes. This means that the plane intersects each axis at a 90 degree angle.

2. How do you find the orthogonal equation of a plane?

To find the orthogonal equation of a plane, you can use the normal vector of the plane and a point on the plane to create a vector equation. Then, you can use this equation to find the orthogonal projection of any point onto the plane.

3. What is the significance of an orthogonal equation plane?

An orthogonal equation plane is important in mathematics as it allows for the representation of 3-dimensional objects and their relationships in a 2-dimensional plane. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to forces and motion in three dimensions.

4. Can an orthogonal equation plane be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, an orthogonal equation plane can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. For example, it can be used to determine the shortest distance between a point and a plane, or to find the angle between two intersecting planes.

5. Are there any applications of orthogonal equation plane in computer graphics?

Yes, orthogonal equation planes are extensively used in computer graphics to create 3-dimensional objects and scenes. They are used to determine the placement and orientation of objects in a 3D space, and to manipulate and transform them using mathematical operations.