Orthogonal trajectories of curves

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the orthogonal trajectories of two sets of curves: x^{2}-y^{2}=c and x^{2}+y^{2}+2cy=1. The first set of curves can be represented by hyperboles, while the second set can be represented by a set of lines. The solution for the second set involves finding a set of circles instead of lines, and to do so, the conversation explains the process of eliminating the variable c. Finally, the conversation ends with the understanding of how to find the orthogonal trajectories for both sets of curves.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello !
I have to find the orthogonal trajectories of the curves :

[tex] x^{2}-y^{2}=c , x^{2}+y^{2}+2cy=1 [/tex] ..

How can I do this??

For this: [tex] x^{2}-y^{2}=c [/tex] I found [tex] \left | y \right |=\frac{M}{\left | x \right |} [/tex] ,and for this: [tex] x^{2}+y^{2}+2cy=1 [/tex],I found: [tex]y=Ax-D[/tex],c,A,D [tex] \varepsilon \Re [/tex] .

Is this right??And how can I continue??

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello !
I have to find the orthogonal trajectories of the curves :

[tex] x^{2}-y^{2}=c , x^{2}+y^{2}+2cy=1 [/tex] ..

How can I do this??

For this: [tex] x^{2}-y^{2}=c [/tex] I found [tex] \left | y \right |=\frac{M}{\left | x \right |} [/tex] ,and for this: [tex] x^{2}+y^{2}+2cy=1 [/tex],I found: [tex]y=Ax-D[/tex],c,A,D [tex] \varepsilon \Re [/tex] .

Is this right??And how can I continue??

Hi evinda! :D

That is right enough.
Actually, you can sharpen the second one a bit since $D=c$.

What do you want to continue with?
Aren't you already done?

I like Serena said:
Hi evinda! :D

That is right enough.
Actually, you can sharpen the second one a bit since $D=c$.

What do you want to continue with?
Aren't you already done?

Since both of the curves are given at the same subquestion,don't I have to find something common between those two solutions?? :confused: Or,what do I have to do?? :confused:

evinda said:
Since both of the curves are given at the same subquestion,don't I have to find something common between those two solutions?? :confused: Or,what do I have to do?? :confused:

The solution for the first set of curves is a set of hyperboles.
The solution for the second set of curves is a set of lines.
They have nothing in common.
So in my opinion they are separate questions and your answer is sufficient.

I like Serena said:
The solution for the first set of curves is a set of hyperboles.
The solution for the second set of curves is a set of lines.
They have nothing in common.
So in my opinion they are separate questions and your answer is sufficient.

Nice..Thank you very much! :)

Hold on! :eek:

Something was still bugging me about that $c$ in the second set of curves $$x^2+y^2+2cy=1 \qquad (1)$$
When I started to draw them, I realized that
$$y=Ax-c \qquad \qquad (2)$$
is not the proper solution.
Draw them. You'll see!Those lines are only orthogonal for points on 1 specific circle that is defined by $c$.
To find the curves that are orthogonal to the whole set of circles, we need to eliminate $c$.

From (1), we get that:
\begin{array}{}
\frac{x^2}{y}+y+2c&=&\frac 1 y \\
\frac{2x}{y}dx - \frac{x^2}{y^2}dy + dy + 0 &=& -\frac{1}{y^2}dy \\
2xydx&=&(x^2-y^2-1)dy
\end{array}
See, no $c$ involved anymore! ;)
The solution of this differential equation is the set of curves (actually circles with their center on the y axis) in (1).
View attachment 1702

To find the orthogonal curves, we need to solve the "orthogonal" differential equation:
\begin{array}{}
(x^2-y^2-1)dx&=&-2xydy \\
\Big(1 - \frac{y^2}{x^2} - \frac 1 {x^2} \Big)dx &=& - \frac{2y}{x}dy \\
dx + \left(- \frac{y^2}{x^2}dx + \frac{2y}{x}dy \right) - \frac 1 {x^2}dx &=& 0 \\
x + \frac{y^2}{x} + \frac{1}{x} &=& 2C \\
x^2 + y^2 - 2Cx &=& -1 \\
(x - C)^2 + y^2 &=& C^2 - 1
\end{array}
In other words, this is a set of circles (with their center on the x-axis) instead of a set of lines.
View attachment 1703

Attachments

• x2+y2+2cy=1.png
    x2+y2+2cy=1.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 46
  • orthogonal_x2+y2+2cy=1.png
    orthogonal_x2+y2+2cy=1.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 48
I like Serena said:
Hold on! :eek:

Something was still bugging me about that $c$ in the second set of curves $$x^2+y^2+2cy=1 \qquad (1)$$
When I started to draw them, I realized that
$$y=Ax-c \qquad \qquad (2)$$
is not the proper solution.
Draw them. You'll see!Those lines are only orthogonal for points on 1 specific circle that is defined by $c$.
To find the curves that are orthogonal to the whole set of circles, we need to eliminate $c$.

From (1), we get that:
\begin{array}{}
\frac{x^2}{y}+y+2c&=&\frac 1 y \\
\frac{2x}{y}dx - \frac{x^2}{y^2}dy + dy + 0 &=& -\frac{1}{y^2}dy \\
2xydx&=&(x^2-y^2-1)dy
\end{array}
See, no $c$ involved anymore! ;)
The solution of this differential equation is the set of curves (actually circles with their center on the y axis) in (1).
View attachment 1702

To find the orthogonal curves, we need to solve the "orthogonal" differential equation:
\begin{array}{}
(x^2-y^2-1)dx&=&-2xydy \\
\Big(1 - \frac{y^2}{x^2} - \frac 1 {x^2} \Big)dx &=& - \frac{2y}{x}dy \\
dx + \left(- \frac{y^2}{x^2}dx + \frac{2y}{x}dy \right) - \frac 1 {x^2}dx &=& 0 \\
x + \frac{y^2}{x} + \frac{1}{x} &=& 2C \\
x^2 + y^2 - 2Cx &=& -1 \\
(x - C)^2 + y^2 &=& C^2 - 1
\end{array}
In other words, this is a set of circles (with their center on the x-axis) instead of a set of lines.
View attachment 1703

I understood it now :eek: Thank you very much! :)

Related to Orthogonal trajectories of curves

1. What are orthogonal trajectories of curves?

Orthogonal trajectories of curves are a set of curves that intersect at right angles to each other. They are also known as perpendicular curves and can be found in various mathematical fields such as geometry, calculus, and physics.

2. How are orthogonal trajectories of curves related to differential equations?

Orthogonal trajectories can be found by solving a differential equation that describes the original curve. The solution to this differential equation gives the set of curves that are perpendicular to the original curve.

3. What is the significance of orthogonal trajectories in real-life applications?

Orthogonal trajectories have many practical applications, such as in engineering, where they are used to determine the optimal shape of curved surfaces for specific purposes. They are also used in physics to describe the paths of particles under the influence of forces.

4. How can one determine if two curves are orthogonal?

To determine if two curves are orthogonal, we can use the dot product of the tangent vectors at the point of intersection. If the dot product is equal to 0, then the curves are orthogonal. In other words, the slopes of the two curves at the point of intersection are negative reciprocals of each other.

5. Can orthogonal trajectories exist for any type of curve?

No, orthogonal trajectories can only exist for curves that can be described by a differential equation. Curves that cannot be described by a differential equation, such as fractals, do not have orthogonal trajectories.