Orthogonality of Momentum Eigenstates: Why is ##\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx=0##?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Orthogonality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Gold Member
Messages
718
Reaction score
163
Consider two momentum eigenstates ##\phi_1## and ##\phi_2## representing momenta ##p_1## and ##p_2##. For the sake of easy numbers, ##p_1=1*\hbar## (with ##k=1##) and ##p_2=2*\hbar## (with ##k=2##). Thus, ##\phi_1=e^{ix}## and ##\phi_2=e^{2ix}##. Orthogonality states that
##\int \phi_1^*\phi_2dx=\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx=0##
Why is this?

I understand how orthogonality would work with dirac deltas (i.e. I know why position eigenfunctions are orthogonal in position space and why momentum eigenfunctions are orthogonal in momentum space, etc.) but I am unclear of how it works with plane waves.

Also, I am specifically asking why ##\int e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx=0##, not why orthogonality works in general (I understand its derivation using the definition of hermitian operators and the inner product).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You could first try to plot some graphs of real functions ##\sin k_1 x \sin k_2 x## where ##k_2## is much larger than ##k_1## and convince yourself of the fact that there's practically as much "positive" as "negative" surface area between the graph and the x-axis.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jilang and Isaac0427
hilbert2 said:
You could first try to plot some graphs of real functions ##\sin k_1 x \sin k_2 x## where ##k_2## is much larger than ##k_1## and convince yourself of the fact that there's practically as much "positive" as "negative" surface area between the graph and the x-axis.
I guess then that my question is how do you numerically evaluate that improper integral?
 
When talking about rigorous mathematics, the improper integral does not converge, but I guess you can show that if you calculate an integral ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-a|x|}e^{-ix}e^{2ix}dx## (which does converge) and take the limit ##a \rightarrow 0+##, then you get value 0.