Oscillations and harmonics issues for components

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of induced vibrations and oscillations in custom projects powered by engines. The speaker asks if there are any books or reports that can provide insight on this issue and suggests using mathematical analysis or building simulation models to study the problem. They also mention the possibility of attaching accelerometers to the frame and conducting tests to observe the device's behavior. However, there is still a risk involved when turning on the engine for the first time, and the speaker recommends a cautious approach. They also request for a picture or sketch of the machinery involved in order to better understand the problem.
Jake Miguel
Is there a book/report(s) that can shed light on this issue? I am into making custom projects that are powered by engines and one, in particular, I am very interested in making sure I don't get any induced vibrations or oscillations.

Suppose I have my engine affixed to a frame and I wish to have it turn a pulley sheave at some RPM. Now, the secondary sheave that is being turned by the primary sheave is suspended by bearings and rides along on a shaft of its own. With so many variables at play here, is there any good way to actually know if some component with start to shake or whip about? Or, is it more accurate to just fire that puppy off and see what happens and attach accelerometers to the frame and take data points?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Mathematical analysis of these problems usually require using simulation models. A Mathworks MATLAB and/or Simulink model can be built. MatrixX and SystemBuild is another option. In the complicated problem that you describe I think it would take a lot of work to make an accurate model. If you are not worried that turning on the engine would destroy the device, you could try that carefully. There have been some expensive prototypes that got destroyed on the test stand when the engines were first turned on. Otherwise, you might attaching accelerometers and see how the device behaves when excited by white noise or an impulse. (I'm not sure what test equipment that would require.) The frequency response to such an input would allow you to use some simpler models to study how it would respond to particular RPM.

Even with the best efforts, there can be some risk when the engines are turned on the first time. I recommend a cautious approach on a test stand.

Show me a picture or a well proportioned sketch of the machinery involved .

1. What are oscillations and harmonics?

Oscillations refer to the back and forth motion of a system around a central point. Harmonics, on the other hand, are multiple oscillations that occur at integer multiples of a fundamental frequency. In other words, harmonics are when the system vibrates at frequencies that are related to the fundamental frequency.

2. How do oscillations and harmonics affect components?

Oscillations and harmonics can cause unwanted vibrations and fluctuations in components, leading to potential damage or malfunction. They can also create interference in electronic circuits, affecting the performance and accuracy of the components.

3. What causes oscillations and harmonics in components?

Oscillations and harmonics can be caused by a variety of factors, such as external vibrations, resonance, or imperfections in the design or manufacturing of the component. They can also be induced by other components or systems in close proximity.

4. How can oscillations and harmonics be minimized or controlled?

There are several methods for minimizing or controlling oscillations and harmonics in components. These include using damping materials or techniques, adjusting the design or placement of the component, or implementing filters or tuning circuits to reduce unwanted frequencies.

5. What are the potential consequences of ignoring oscillations and harmonics in components?

If oscillations and harmonics are not taken into consideration during the design and implementation of components, they can lead to performance issues, malfunctions, or even failure of the component. They can also cause interference in other systems or components, leading to errors or inaccuracies.