Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Our scientific world (the Powerade lawsuit)

1. Mar 22, 2006 #1
    Coca-cola TM (maker of Gatorade TM) has filed a lawsuit against Pepsi TM (maker of Powerade TM) in a federal court:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060321/ap_on_bi_ge/pepsi_coke_lawsuit

:rofl:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2006 #2

JamesU

Gold Member

You have them mixed up, coka -cola makes powerade, pepsi makes gatorade...

rahmaninoff2? hmmm......

4. Mar 22, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, what's with the 2? What have you done with rachmaninoff?

5. Mar 22, 2006 #4
    The other rachmaninoff locked himself out of his account by mistake.

6. Mar 22, 2006 #5
    Gatorate, Powerade, same difference. It's all wet.

7. Mar 22, 2006 #6

Evo

Want to be fixed?

8. Mar 22, 2006 #7
    I'm sure he'd like you to fix him up, Evo! :!!)

9. Mar 22, 2006 #8

Astronuc

:rofl: He's too young to be 'fixed'! :rofl: :rolleyes: :uhh: o:)

10. Mar 22, 2006 #9

Astronuc

According to Yahoo,
    I'll vouch for Gatorade! I drink it a lot in the summer, and I have since high school when I played soccer. At half-time, I could finish 24 oz of Gatorade in a few seconds. And after the game, I'd swallow a second 24 oz bottle. It worked!

When I worked construction in 110°F+ weather (and slightly higher on and iron/steel roof in direct sunlight) I would easily sweat 2-3 kgs of water a day. Gatorade kept me going.

As for the lower calories - bah! If anyone, one needs more calories. Playing soccer, riding a bicycle, or doing construction, I'd burn several 1000 cal/day. The last thing I need is a drink with 10 cal/ 8 oz. :rolleyes:

11. Mar 22, 2006 #10
    It seems there was already a decision in regards to such comparisons previously.

12. Mar 22, 2006 #11

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"The Gloved One" leaves for parts unknown, and Pepsi's legal department is facing budget cuts if they don't sue someone.

13. Mar 22, 2006 #12
    :confused: Are you talking about Micheal Jackson?

14. Mar 22, 2006 #13

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Among other "Pepsi Generation" spokes"whats."

15. Mar 22, 2006 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try going on a six-day, 600 mile bicycle ride... in the middle of summertime. By the middle of the third day, the smell of Gatorade alone (particularly the nauseating "Fierce" varities) is literally enough to make you want to vomit on the spot.

For long (50+ mile) bike rides, I generally make my own "sports drink" with nothing more than:

A quart of water
    A pinch of salt
    A pinch of "lite" salt (which is mostly KCl)
    A little lemon juice and sugar to taste

Way more palatable and refreshing than Gatorade, and essentially free.

Even the US military advises that if you're going to drink Gatorade, drink it diluted half-and-half with plain water.

- Warren

16. Mar 22, 2006 #15

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No way!

When I used to workout, I was a big Gatorade user. Only before and after workouts. I bought the powdered Gatorade that contained Dextrose.

Dextrose was found to enter your bloodstream much faster than other sugars, which leads you to getting energy much quicker than anything else.

With my experience using powdered Gatorade, I noticed that I performed best when I drink the Gatorade when working out.

17. Mar 22, 2006 #16
    Wait just a minute what of Amish people can run faster with powerrade then would with gatarade

18. Mar 22, 2006 #17

Mk

arnlido2, rachmaninoff2, Evo2?? I hope I don't ever get to be Mk2.

19. Mar 22, 2006 #18
    When I was running Cross Country I was always told to never drink Powerade or Gatorade before a race. Its only good for replacing electrolites (sp), but it gives you cramps otherwise.

20. Mar 22, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That wouldn't be a good idea for cross country. It's enduranced based.

Complex carbs are what you want the day before. I think that's what most racers focus on.

21. Mar 23, 2006 #20

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I agree completely with that one. When I am skating or working out, if I take a sip of Gatorade, it tastes like hummingbird food. It's way too sweet. I'm going to have to try your receipe. Although I have never heard of "lite" salt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?