p53 deletion mutation: expected copies in somatic, tumor and sperm cells

  • Thread starter Thread starter Goodyearkl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Goodyearkl
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Any ideas with this one? It's a part of an optional assignment I have been working on for extra credit. Everything else is complete and I have been milling this one over for about a week without coming up with a solution that I am confident in.

You are studying a heritable form of cancer that is due to a mutation in the p53 gene. The
mutation is thought to be a deletion of 200 bases in the middle of the gene.


You are given a number of tissue samples from an affected male individual which you
analyse with the test you designed. How many wild type and how many mutant p53
genes would you expect to find per cell in non-cancerous somatic cells, tumour cells and
sperm cells?

I'd use a microarry to do this. Could I figure out mutants based on the two hit theory?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
I would use the 2 hit theory. Isnt the whole "non-cancerous somatic cells" phrase a hint for that