Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pacific Rim, anyone looking forward to it?

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    Usually this kind of movie has me running, but the trailer looks good and the director Guillermo del Toro has the brains and creativity to pull it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

I love del Toro's work, but I don't have high hopes for this one. It's difficult to tell a good story when there is this much CGI to show off.

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Oh...dear

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4
    haha care to explain? :D

6. Jun 19, 2013 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I refuse to call this sort of "movie" anything other then a cartoon.

Del Toro makes good movies, but this is not his normal genre. Wait and see.

7. Jun 19, 2013 #6
    Alien Godzillas Vs Non transforming Transformers!!!
    :surprised:surprised:surprised
    All of my prayers have been answered.

8. Jun 19, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The real heroes are the guys that built those robots

9. Jun 19, 2013 #8
    It will be an interesting movie... I am not to sure how much story it will have to it but the graphics do look pretty sweet. I have some reservations with it, but it will most likely be a decent action movie and nothing more.

HA! No kidding, why haven't we tried to do this yet???

10. Jun 19, 2013 #9
    I totally agree. As many consider driving a robot extremely cool, it is not that difficult to find qualified persons to drive them. I would be impressed if the movie shares the efforts made by the robot designers and engineers.

Anyway, I do not watch movies a lot yet I am definitely gonna watch this one. The concept is nothing new especially from watching too many animes yet I am always excited to see the improvement in the visual effects. After watching Superman, I am sure the effects in Pacific Rim would be equally impressive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  11. Jun 20, 2013 #10

Drakkith

Giant robots fighting giant monsters in sweet looking CGI?
    Yes please. Even if the plot is bad, yes please.
    And is anyone really expecting the plot to be better than: ****, we got giant aliens coming out of the ocean! Let's build giant robots to kill them!! Why? Cuz it looks freaking sweet!
    I'm not. And I'm okay with that.

Edit: Just watched the trailer again. I soooo can't wait for this movie! And that's pretty rare for me. I am not a movie person at all.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  12. Jun 20, 2013 #11
    Any trailer looks enticing when you have a voice actor with an adequately attractive and deep voice, along with the right music.

Although the mentioning of Guillermo del Toro does remind me that I need to watch Pan's Labyrinth.

13. Jun 28, 2013 #12

HayleySarg

Gold Member

Is it just me, or is it as we reach peaks of CGI capability, we see movies that are basically some script thrown together so we can show them off?

Not that I'm always complaining, but it's interesting. I feel like showy-graphic and effects type movies come in waves. Might just be my perception.

Bottom line: Will watch to watch, but not super excited.

14. Jun 28, 2013 #13

Drakkith

It's always been like this.

15. Jun 28, 2013 #14

HayleySarg

Gold Member

I mean, it seems to come in stronger bunches. I'd have to gather up some sort of sample of data with respect to year released.

16. Jun 29, 2013 #15
    I can't get into movies that are too unrealistic. There's no way that giant power ranger would do any better than just shooting the monsters with long range weapons. And if missiles somehow wouldn't damage the monsters, then how could a punch thrown by a giant robot do any damage? It just makes no sense.

17. Jul 10, 2013 #16
    I'm heading out to see it Friday! 76% on RT, not bad!

18. Jul 10, 2013 #17
    Definitely not a bad rating; Rotten Tomatoes tends to be a little harsh, so 76% means there's some hope for it.

19. Jul 11, 2013 #18

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure why anybody would waste money on this... Ah well...

20. Jul 11, 2013 #19

russ_watters

Maybe if "The Lone Ranger" was sold out...

21. Jul 12, 2013 #20
    wow wow wow was I disappointed! What the heck did I just watch. Horrible acting, bad script, no story, no emotion, lots of plot holes, tons of wacky science, bad comedy moments. Mud on the face of Del Toro. I thought he was better than this. It's not that much better than Transformers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook