Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pair production - which theory does it belong to

1. Jan 13, 2013 #1
    I am wondering in which theory pair productioon is described? Is it field theory, particle physics or quantum physics? I am sorry for such a basic question, but i need this info to find some books which will explain pair production mathematically and not by waving hands... (like allover the web)

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Quantum field theory
    This is a field theory, it is a quantum theory, and (nearly?) all calculations in particle physics use quantum field theory.

4. Jan 13, 2013 #3
    Would you recomend any books for pair production?

5. Jan 13, 2013 #4

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

It would depend on how deeply you want to get into it. Judging by the work you did and the questions you were asking in this thread, you'll get a long ways just by knowing two things:
    1) Pair production obeys all the conservation laws.
    2) The relativistic energy-momentum relationship: [itex]E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2[/itex]

6. Jan 13, 2013 #5
    Actually this is so called scattering theory. This is indeed a subdivision of QFT.

7. Jan 13, 2013 #6
    Could you write down in my other topic, how i could use this equation? To achieve same ##h \nu## which i get by conservation of energy and conservation of momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook