Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric function or statistic?

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    Which one would you say this is :confused: :

E(|x1-x2|)
    x1, x2, xn - a sample of n values on the underlying random variable...
    I was thinking this is a statistic :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"E" of something is a probability-weighted average outcome, so it involves the entire set of outcomes rather than just a sample. A statistic involves only a sample. The x's in E[f(X1,x2)] are not sample values, they are shorthands for two random variables or distributions (e.g., "Normal distribution 1" and "Normal distribution 2").

4. Jan 18, 2007 #3
    so... parametric function?

5. Jan 18, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"Probabilistic representation of the set of outcomes." I guess para. func. is acceptable for cases where the prob. rep. reduces to a parametric function.

6. Jan 18, 2007 #5
    so, then what about |x1-x2|? would you say it is a statistic?

7. Jan 18, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's a statistic. The initial confusing factor was your use of "E". Did you intend that to be the expectation? If so, E(u) is the expected value of a random variable or function of a random variable. It doesn't make sense to talk about the "expected" value of specific values from a sample.

8. Jan 18, 2007 #7
    thanks a lot for explaining.
    so to make sure I understand, it would be wrong to "do" expected value on a sample? since E's domain is data from entire distribution?
    edit: would you call E() a function? if not, what is it formally? sorry if I don't get this right away...
    Thank you again.

9. Jan 18, 2007 #8

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let c be a (deterministic) constant. Then the expected value of c is always c.

You can take the expectation of a sample, but the result will be the sample itself. That's because a sample {x1, ..., xn} (differently from random vars. {X1, ..., Xn}) is a set of values that have already been determined (by the very act of selecting them from a set of probable outcomes). There is nothing inherently probabilistic or random about a sample, once you have the sample.

And yes, in "standard" theory and applications, E[f(O)] (where "E" is a shorthand for "EP") is a function given by the integral of f(O)dP(O) where f is any (continuous, to be safe) function defined over the set of outcomes O, and P is the cumulative probability distribution defined over O. For discrete cases, it is the inner product f(O).p(O) where p is the density defined over O.

E[f(O)] is the P-measure of the set f(O), and hence the technically correct notation "EP."

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  10. Jan 21, 2007 #9

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Examples:
    Continuous P, specific parameters: Let U[0,1] be the uniform prob. dist. over the unit interval I=[0,1]: U[0,1](v) = v for v in I. Then E[U[0,1]] = EU[0,1][I] = [itex]\int_0^1 v dU[0,1](v) = \int_0^1 v dv = \frac{v^2}{2}|_0^1 = 1/2[/itex].
    Continuous P, general parameters: Let U[a,b] be the uniform prob. dist. over any interval J = [a,b]: U[a,b](v) = (v-a)/(b-a) for v in J. Then
    [tex]
    E[U[a,b]] = E_{U[a,b]}[J] = \int_a^b v dU[a,b](v)
    = \int_a^b \frac v{b-a} dv
    =\frac{v^2}{2(b-a)}|_a^b = \frac{b^2-a^2}{2(b-a)} = \frac{a+b}2
    [/tex]

Discrete P, specific params.: Let p be the uniform density function p(v) = 1/2 for all v in O = {0,1}. Then EP[{0,1}] = (1/2,1/2}.{0,1} = (1/2) 1 + (1/2) 0 = 1/2.
    Discrete P, gen. params.: Let p be the uniform density function p(v) = 1/n for all v in W = {1, ..., n}. Then EP[W] = (1/n, ..., 1/n}.{1, ..., n} = (1 + ... + n)/n = n(n+1)/(2n) = (n+1)/2.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?