Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Paris Hilton Builds $325,000 house for her dogs

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2009 #2

negitron

Science Advisor

Where did you get that figure? It is not mentioned in the linked article.

4. Aug 5, 2009 #3
    Conan O'Brien

5. Aug 5, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So what do you propose: instead of her spending her money she should give it all out to the poor so they can buy homes?

By the way: I don't know about "silver spoon", since she's a millionaire in her own right. Furthermore, the majority of her (potential) inheritance has been given to charity/pledged to have been given to charity. Should she give away all her earned money as well?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. Aug 5, 2009 #5
    Yes, clearly.

7. Aug 5, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You guys are missing the point. They are REALLY cool dogs.

8. Aug 5, 2009 #7

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure the architect, the builders, the plumber, the electrician, ... all appreciate the work.

9. Aug 5, 2009 #8
    So, what's the problem?

10. Aug 5, 2009 #9

negitron

Science Advisor

Oh, yeah. There's a reputable news source. :rolleyes:

11. Aug 5, 2009 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hey now there's one way of looking at it. Money out of her hands and into the hands of people who do real work.

12. Aug 5, 2009 #11

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Hey, Conan O'Brian is considered by most americans to be a far more trustworthy source of news then the other news sources such as Jimmy Kimbel, Jay Leno, and that hack Carson Daily who was caught up in Laughgate.

13. Aug 5, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OMG its a redistribution of wealth! Those dogs are commies.

14. Aug 5, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, with kind of spending, I would bet we could calculate a significant carbon paw print.

15. Aug 6, 2009 #14
    Sorry, but Nature and Science don't run a section on pop culture and give the latest run down on the red carpet etc. Maybe you don't know how the intro for late night stand up works a lot of times. 1.) Host introduces a true news story as the set up and then 2.) gives the punchline to the joke. My bad, maybe you trust someone like Perez Hilton more?

http://perezhilton.com/2009-08-05-listen-up-doug-paris-dog-house-is-damn-comfortable

16. Aug 6, 2009 #15

negitron

Science Advisor

Thank goodness. I really don't give a damn about what some overblown celebrities do; they're not relevant to me. As noted, however much money they spend is immaterial--it all goes back into the economy. Complaining about it as wasteful is both incorrect and pointless.

17. Aug 6, 2009 #16
    From the pictures I just looked up, it doesn't look all that special to me. What makes it cost so much?
    What a dumb thing to spend so much money on.
    I guess anything for her to stay in the news. Though at this point she's hanging on for dear life.

18. Aug 6, 2009 #17
    She's wealthy and she can afford it and she wants it. I don't really see the problem. If you're jealous of her wealth that's one thing but are you suggesting that wealthy people should have some responsibility to spend their money in way deemed sensible to you? If you think you could spend that money better then go out and MAKE THAT MONEY. Then you to can say how wisely you spent your $350,000.

19. Aug 6, 2009 #18
    These kind of news serves as an eye opener to the world's disparity in economic norm. It is natural to feel uneasy to see more than half of the humans in the world are less privileged than these dogs. (do google image search on "poverty").

I don't think OP is jealous on Paris Hilton's money nor he's seriously suggesting the best way to spend money (well, he's not an economist, so don't expect that from him). It's more of an impulse reaction for the reasons I mentioned above.

20. Aug 6, 2009 #19
    Yes but african poverty is not due to the west hording resources (at least not anymore). There are enough resources for both africa and the west to be "wealthy". Paris Hilton's extravagant spending is neither the cause of nor contributes to third world poverty (arguably it reduces it)

21. Aug 6, 2009 #20

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook