Particle density in spherical geometry

In summary, the neutron density at radius r, emitted uniformly from a thin spherical shell of radius R at velocity V and absorbed at diametrically opposed points, can be expressed as ρ=I/V4∏r^2 where I is the current and V is the velocity. This relationship follows from the continuity equation for linear geometry.
parsec

Homework Statement

Neutrons are emitted uniformly from the inner surface of a thin spherical shell of radius R at a velocity V. They are emitted normal to the inner surface and fly radially across the volume of the sphere to be absorbed at diametrically opposed points. The neutrons are non interacting and do not collide. Express the neutron density at radius r as a function of the emitted neutron current and neutron velocity.

Homework Equations

I don't really have any, other than some simple continuity equations and equations for the area and volume of a sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can think of an ad hoc way to do this, by taking the ratios of the surface areas, and expressing the density as some function of this ratio, but it doesn't seem correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've rationalised that for linear geometry ρ=I/AV where I is the current, A the surface area and V is the velocity. Applying this relationship to this scenario simply yields ρ=I/V4∏r^2

This doesn't seem quite right though.

1. What is particle density in spherical geometry?

Particle density in spherical geometry is a measure of the concentration of particles within a spherical space. It is calculated by dividing the number of particles by the volume of the sphere.

2. How is particle density affected by the size of the spherical space?

The particle density in spherical geometry is inversely proportional to the size of the spherical space. This means that as the size of the sphere increases, the particle density decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors can affect particle density in spherical geometry?

The particle density in spherical geometry can be affected by various factors such as the size of the spherical space, the number of particles, and the distribution of particles within the sphere. Other factors include temperature, pressure, and the properties of the particles themselves.

4. How is particle density related to the concept of mass density?

Particle density in spherical geometry is closely related to the concept of mass density. Mass density is the measure of mass per unit volume, while particle density is the measure of the number of particles per unit volume. In a spherical space, particle density can be converted to mass density by multiplying it with the mass of each particle.

5. What techniques can be used to measure particle density in spherical geometry?

There are several techniques that can be used to measure particle density in spherical geometry. One common method is to use a microscope and count the number of particles within a known volume of the sphere. Other techniques include using centrifugation, sieving, and light scattering methods.