Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle motion ode (1st order nonlinear nonhomog)

1. Jul 10, 2012 #1
    hi all,

I've been trying to work this problem out,

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}-A(B-v)^{1.6}=G [/itex]

A, B and G are constants

and Matlab can't give me a solution either. I'm wondering if there is even a solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2
    Hi,

Just realised I can make an assumption for B = 0. Does this make it solvable?

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    Hi !
    The ODe is of the "separables variables" kind (see in attachment) :

Attached Files:

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    wow! thanks

6. Jul 11, 2012 #5
    Sorry, there was a typo at the end of the attached page :

Attached Files:

7. Jul 11, 2012 #6
    Since v represents velocity, can I then integrate the v-equation? Are inv. Beta functions integratable?

Or would it be simpler to determine the x-position by setting up the original equation as a second order derivative as:

d2xdt2−A(B−v)^1.6=G

and as B = 0 then

[itex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+A(\frac{dx}{dt})^{1.6}=G[/itex]
    with initial conditions
    dx/dt(0) = 0

i.e. particle initially at rest

Sorry to ask again, but could you show me this solution? I really struggle with maths.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  8. Jul 12, 2012 #7
    Hi !

If B=0 your basic equation dv/dt−A(−v)^1.6=G implies v<0 or v=0. If not, (-v)^1.6 would not be real and the solution v(t) would not be real, which is not correct on a physical point of view. So v<0 or v=0.
    In the general solution given in my preceeding post, let c=0 and B=0 in the formula. Then Y(0)=0 ; Inverse Beta (0) = 0 which leads to v=0.
    The expected solution with condition v=0 at t=0 is obtained with c=0 in the formula.

The function v(t) is not a simple Inverse Beta function, but a combination of several functions with the Inverse Beta among them. It's far too complicated for formal integration. I think that the only practical way is numerical integration. If it is that what you want, the simplest way is probably to use a numerical process for solving directly the differential equation.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook