Passengers in Sudden Plane Vertical Drop: Effects

• Thread starter ellieee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Airplane
In summary, the force that act on a passenger is gravitational force and the acceleration due to gravity.
ellieee
Homework Statement
exact qn:
when airplane suddenly drops down Vertically, why do people hit the ceiling of the airplane?
is it something about inertia? but I was also thinking about newton's third law. when plane drops down(force is downwards), then I go upwards cuz it's the opposite force?
Relevant Equations
nil
nil

Likes Shreya
Physics news on Phys.org
ellieee said:
is it something about inertia?
Yes.
ellieee said:
but I was also thinking about Newton's third law. when plane drops down(force is downwards), then I go upwards because it's the opposite force?
Please quote that law, then check whether it fits this circumstance.

may I know the explanation?
haruspex said:
Yes

ellieee said:
may I know the explanation?
We don't do your homework for you. Please show some reasoning.
What forces act on a passenger?

haruspex said:
We don't do your homework for you. Please show some reasoning.
What forces act on a passenger?
gravitational force

ellieee said:
gravitational force
Before or after the plane drops suddenly?

don't we need to know if the plane falls down with acceleration less, equal or greater than g?

Delta2 said:
don't we need to know if the plane falls down with acceleration less, equal or greater than g?
I was hoping to get @ellieee to discover that.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Before or after the plane drops suddenly?
is it both? I think it's because when you're not moving, gravitational force will still act on you.

Delta2 said:
but the question didn't state the value of the acceleration of the plane

ellieee said:
Ok then its up to you to take the cases ##a<g,a=g,a>g##. From what I can understand in the first two cases the passengers won't hit the ceiling...

• Informative
Likes Shreya
ellieee said:
Usually (maybe even always) if a questions says 'drop' it means under gravity, so the acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity, unless you're given info regarding other forces such air resistance, which you're not in the case.

I can't imagine a situation where a place falls with an acceleration greater than g which doesn't involve Bond like baddies with huge magnets somewhere.

rsk said:
acceleration is the acceleration due to gravity
but isn't gravitational force always acting on the plane? shouldn't the value of the acceleration be greater than acceleration due to gravity ?

ellieee said:
but isn't gravitational force always acting on the plane?
Yes, but it is not the only force on the plane.
rsk said:
I can't imagine a situation where a place falls with an acceleration greater than g which doesn't involve Bond like baddies with huge magnets somewhere.
I can.

Likes jbriggs444
haruspex said:
Yes, but it is not the only force on the plane.

I can.
there's also lift;upward acting force, thrust; the forward acting force; and drag, the wind resistance

ellieee said:
there's also lift;upward acting force, thrust; the forward acting force; and drag, the wind resistance
Good, but how could the sum of those result in the plane accelerating downward faster than g?

haruspex said:
Good, but how could the sum of those result in the plane accelerating downward faster than g?
the lift force decreases ?

ellieee said:
the lift force decreases ?
Could that lead to a downward acceleration faster than g?

haruspex said:
Could that lead to a downward acceleration faster than g?
hmm why not? if lift force decreases, then resultant force would be downwards no?

ellieee said:
hmm why not? if lift force decreases, then resultant force would be downwards no?
The vertical forces on a plane are, generally, gravity and lift, roughly in balance. With zero lift, what would the acceleration be?

ellieee said:
Lift force is an upward force.
Decrease in an upward force doesn't change gravity

I think in the question we are to assume that the plane is in free fall.
The passengers tend to be in rest due to inertia
And then you know what happens!

Shreya said:
Lift force is an upward force.
Decrease in an upward force doesn't change gravity

I think in the question we are to assume that the plane is in free fall.
The passengers tend to be in rest due to inertia
And then you know what happens!
That does not work. The passengers would also be in free fall.

• Informative
Likes Shreya
haruspex said:
That does not work. The passengers would also be in free fall.
Yes, but they will take some time to get to same velocity as the plane is.

Shreya said:
Yes, but they will take some time to get to same velocity as the plane is.
Why?

• Informative
Likes Shreya and Delta2
haruspex said:
Why?
I think I got it wrong.
The plane must be experiencing acceleration greater than g (due to turbulence)
If the air pressure above the wings becomes higher (somehow) than the air pressure below the wing.
The lift could act downward.

Likes rsk
Shreya said:
I think I got it wrong.
The plane must be experiencing acceleration greater than g (due to turbulence)
If the air pressure above the wings becomes higher (somehow) than the air pressure below the wing.
The lift could act downward.
Let's give @ellieee a chance to contribute.

1. What causes a sudden plane vertical drop?

A sudden plane vertical drop, also known as an "air pocket" or "turbulence", is typically caused by changes in air pressure and wind patterns. This can be caused by weather conditions, such as thunderstorms, or by changes in altitude.

2. Are passengers at risk during a sudden plane vertical drop?

While a sudden plane vertical drop can be a frightening experience, it is generally not a significant risk to passenger safety. Modern airplanes are designed to withstand turbulence and pilots are trained to handle these situations.

3. What are the potential effects on passengers during a sudden plane vertical drop?

The effects on passengers during a sudden plane vertical drop can vary depending on the severity of the drop. Common effects may include a feeling of weightlessness, mild discomfort, and anxiety. In rare cases, more severe drops may cause injuries from falling objects or unsecured passengers.

4. How can passengers prepare for a sudden plane vertical drop?

Passengers can prepare for a sudden plane vertical drop by following the safety instructions provided by the flight crew, such as keeping seatbelts fastened while seated and securing loose items. It may also be helpful to practice deep breathing and remain calm during turbulence.

5. Can a sudden plane vertical drop be avoided?

While pilots do their best to avoid turbulence and unexpected changes in altitude, it is not always possible to predict or avoid a sudden plane vertical drop. However, modern technology and weather forecasting can help minimize the risk of encountering turbulence during a flight.