Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of downloading "The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e" by Oetiker due to a potentially malicious add-on. It is suggested to try using a different browser to successfully download the PDF. The conversation also mentions the possibility of malware affecting the download process and the potential security issues with different browsers.
qspeechc
Pdf of "Not So Short Intro to Latex"

Hi everyone

I'm trying to download "The Not So Short Introduction to LaTeX2e" by Oetiker, but every link I try I get the message "This webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'Zeon Corporation' from 'Zeon Corporation'." Then I am asked if I want to allow this add on.

When I click 'allow' my browser freezes, and then shuts down. This happens every time. I can't find a direct download of the pdf.

Can someone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Doc Al said:
I had no issues downloading this: http://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf

Yes, that is one of the websites I tried. The same thing happens.

What browser are you using? Try a different one.

Well now I feel like a real idiot. Yes, that worked. Thank you Doc Al!

I was using Internet Explorer (I'm not saying anything), and then I tried Firefox and it worked.

Thanks again.

qspeechc said:
I was using Internet Explorer

Doc Al's link works fine for me using IE.

You have probably picked up some malware from somewhere else on the web.

Yeah could be malware, meanwhile, you could right click the link of Doc al, use the 'save as' function and after downloading open the pdf with the acrobat reader

AlephZero said:
You have probably picked up some malware from somewhere else on the web.

Then why does it work in Firefox?

Because Firefox isn't IE.

1. What is "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex"?

"Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex" is a comprehensive guide to using the Latex document preparation system. It covers everything from basic formatting to advanced features, making it a valuable resource for scientists, researchers, and other professionals.

2. Who is the author of "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex"?

The author of "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex" is Tobias Oetiker, a physicist and computer scientist from Switzerland. He is also the creator of the widely used Latex package "PGF/TikZ".

3. What are the benefits of using Latex for scientific documents?

Latex offers several benefits for scientific documents, including precise and consistent formatting, support for mathematical equations and symbols, and the ability to handle large and complex documents with ease. It also allows for easy collaboration and version control.

4. Is "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex" is suitable for beginners as well as more experienced users. It starts with the basics and gradually introduces more advanced topics, making it accessible for those new to Latex.

5. Can "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex" be used for other types of documents besides scientific ones?

Yes, while "Pdf of Not So Short Intro to Latex" is geared towards scientific documents, many of the concepts and techniques can be applied to other types of documents as well, such as reports, presentations, and even books.