Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PE license for Civil and mechanical engineers

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    To all the civil/mechanical uni. grads out there,

So after u have completed your Bachelor's degree in civil/mechanical engineering and u work for 4 years as an assistant engineer, can u apply to take the FE/FS exam to become a professional engineer? The total fees (registration + exam) is $300. Is it worth getting that PE license?? In what ways will it benefit your career advancement as an engineer??

Below are the links for the FE mech/civil exam formula lists. They are much tougher than i expected.

http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/fe_mechanical_engineering.pdf
    http://www.ncees.org/exams/study_materials/fe_handbook/fe_civil_engineering.pdf

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It depends highly on what your specific job path is going to be. In my field for example, one does not see very many PEs because it's just not necessary. Most of the guys with PEs had them prior to working with us. I have wanted to get my PE just as another feather in my cap, so to speak. I have just never gotten around to it. Plus the references required is a bit tougher to get when you don't directly work for PEs.

If you want to hang up your own shingle and consult you need to have one. Many CE jobs require a certain number of PEs to be on staff.

It really all just depends.

4. Apr 11, 2007 #3
    I work at a multi-discipline company (electrical, mechanical, civil, structural, arch.) and it is every engineer's goal there that I know to get licensed. There is an increase in salary after you get it and it increases the company's credentials when bidding on projects to have 'X' number of PE's they can say will be doing the work. I have also had to use mine to stamp my drawings while at my company to get approvals from the jurisdiction.

5. Apr 14, 2007 #4
    A must for civil design...

If you want to do design work for a structural, civil, or environmental engineering firm, you must be licensed to advance your career. The FE exam is in many ways harder than the PE exam because it is closed book and because you are asked to do more than the scope of your interests in most cases. When it comes time to take the PE, you have likely settled into a sub-discipline of Civil Engineering and are expected only to know your stuff in that field as opposed to several areas like the FE. It is also an open book test. Most firms reward you financially for obtaining your license and it will be required to move up the ladder to a project manager position or partner/senior staff of a firm. Both tests are a bear and are considered "running the gauntlet", but necessary and worth it. Many companies use the number of registered engineers in their employ as a selling point when searching for clients. In many clients’ eyes it is a measure of competency of the firm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?