PE license with physics/math degree

• Programs
  • Thread starter physics305
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation involves a student who has switched from electrical engineering to a physics/math double major and is now interested in pursuing a career as a physicist. They are wondering if someone with a physics/math degree can obtain a PE license, but the advisors at their university were unable to provide a clear answer. The student then finds information online that suggests it is possible to obtain a PE license with a physics/math degree.
physics305
Currently right now I switched from electrical engineering to physics/math double major (both applied and pure mathematics), and currently am a junior. I never really liked engineering, and I only did it because my parents insisted that it was a better career option (pay wise).

Now I want to work as a physicist ( leaning towards theoretical), but just wondering can someone with a physics/math degree get a PE license. I just need a straight answer because I have asked numerous advisers in my university (which is accredited), but to my knowledge i believe it depends on what state you are in ( I am in Florida).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
physics305 said:
Now I want to work as a physicist ( leaning towards theoretical), but just wondering can someone with a physics/math degree get a PE license. I just need a straight answer because I have asked numerous advisers in my university (which is accredited), but to my knowledge i believe it depends on what state you are in ( I am in Florida).
So what did the advisers tell you?

To my disbelief, they said they didn't know.

I can understand if my physics adviser didn't know, but my engineering one said I should be able to find the answer online.

I have search online for PE license requirements in florida and nothing has come up.

Read http://www.fbpe.org/userfiles/file/Chapter%20471.pdf , especially 471.013 and 471.015. And the fact that the advisors told you that just makes me cringe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! This was exactly was I was looking for.

What is a PE license and why do I need it?

A PE (Professional Engineer) license is a credential issued by a state board that demonstrates an individual's competency and knowledge in a specific engineering field. It is required for engineers who want to offer their services to the public, sign and seal engineering documents, or work as a consultant.

Can I obtain a PE license with a degree in physics or math?

Yes, it is possible to obtain a PE license with a degree in physics or math. However, the requirements may vary depending on the state. Generally, applicants with non-engineering degrees must have a certain number of years of engineering work experience or complete additional coursework to qualify for the PE exam.

What is the difference between a PE license and a degree in engineering?

A PE license is a professional credential that demonstrates an individual's competency and knowledge in a specific engineering field, while a degree in engineering is an academic qualification that provides a broad understanding of engineering principles and concepts. A PE license is required for engineers who want to offer their services to the public or sign and seal engineering documents.

What are the benefits of having a PE license with a physics or math degree?

Having a PE license with a physics or math degree can open up career opportunities in various industries, including engineering consulting, research and development, and academia. It also demonstrates a strong understanding of engineering principles and can lead to higher salaries and career advancement.

What steps do I need to take to obtain a PE license with a physics or math degree?

The steps to obtain a PE license with a physics or math degree may vary depending on the state. Generally, it involves completing the required number of years of engineering work experience, passing the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam, and passing the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam. Additional coursework may also be required.