Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PE license with physics/math degree

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    Currently right now I switched from electrical engineering to physics/math double major (both applied and pure mathematics), and currently am a junior. I never really liked engineering, and I only did it because my parents insisted that it was a better career option (pay wise).

Now I want to work as a physicist ( leaning towards theoretical), but just wondering can someone with a physics/math degree get a PE license. I just need a straight answer because I have asked numerous advisers in my university (which is accredited), but to my knowledge i believe it depends on what state you are in ( I am in Florida).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2
    So what did the advisers tell you?

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    To my disbelief, they said they didn't know.

I can understand if my physics adviser didn't know, but my engineering one said I should be able to find the answer online.

I have search online for PE licence requirements in florida and nothing has come up.

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    Read http://www.fbpe.org/userfiles/file/Chapter%20471.pdf [Broken], especially 471.013 and 471.015. And the fact that the advisors told you that just makes me cringe.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jul 18, 2011 #5
    Thanks! This was exactly was I was looking for.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook