Peculiar View of Density Matrices: Is There a Problem?

In summary: A mixed state is not a pure state.In summary, the conversation is discussing the use and understanding of density matrices in a statistical point of view. The speaker wonders if their perspective of viewing them as similar to Hilbert vectors without considering their statistical nature is problematic. They also mention that density matrices can describe both pure and mixed states. The other person asks for an example and explains the definition of pure and mixed states.
Heidi
Hi Pfs , happy new year.
I wonder if there is a problem with the manner i see density matrices:
I use to consider them without a statistical point of view , just like i do with Hilbert vectors. no more no less. So the points on the Block sphere are only pecular points of those which are inside.
Of course if they can also describe mixtures of pure states in a statistical point of view.
is there a problem with that point of view?

Physics news on Phys.org
As for the titled question, I think yes because I have no idea for information to add to density matrix.

Heidi said:
Hi Pfs , happy new year.
I wonder if there is a problem with the manner i see density matrices:
I use to consider them without a statistical point of view , just like i do with Hilbert vectors. no more no less. So the points on the Block sphere are only pecular points of those which are inside.
Of course if they can also describe mixtures of pure states in a statistical point of view.
is there a problem with that point of view?
Could you give an example? Density matrices are used in more than one context, some of which might be more complete than others.

The quantum state of an arbitrary system is described by the statistical operator ##\hat{\rho}##, which is a positive semidefinite self-adjoint operator with trace 1. It's a pure state, if it can be written as ##\hat{\rho}=|\psi \rangle \langle \psi|## with some normalized vector ##|\psi \rangle##, i.e., iff ##\hat{\rho}^2=\hat{\rho}##.

Likes physicsworks

1. What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of a quantum system that describes the probabilities of its different states. It is a matrix of complex numbers that contains information about the system's quantum state, such as its energy, momentum, and spin.

2. What is the peculiar view of density matrices?

The peculiar view of density matrices refers to the fact that they can represent both pure and mixed quantum states. This means that they can describe systems that are in a definite state as well as systems that are in a superposition of multiple states.

3. Is there a problem with the peculiar view of density matrices?

Some physicists argue that the peculiar view of density matrices presents a problem for our understanding of quantum mechanics. This is because it challenges the traditional interpretation of quantum states as representing objective physical properties of a system.

4. How do scientists use density matrices in their research?

Density matrices are used in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, quantum information theory, and quantum computing. Scientists use them to calculate probabilities of different outcomes in quantum experiments, to study the behavior of quantum systems, and to design quantum algorithms.

5. Can the peculiar view of density matrices be reconciled with traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics?

There is ongoing debate among physicists about whether the peculiar view of density matrices can be reconciled with traditional interpretations of quantum mechanics. Some propose alternative interpretations, such as the many-worlds interpretation, while others argue that the peculiar view is simply a different way of understanding quantum states.