Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Penguin diagrams and CP violation

1. Apr 10, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone. I have been studying CP violation in kaon systems. I would like to know is someone can explain why, to leading order, strong penguin diagrams (i.e. involving a gluon) only contribute to the [itex]K\to (\pi\pi)_{I=0}[/itex] amplitude, while the isospin 2 amplitude is given by the electro-weak penguins (i.e. involving a photon or a Z boson).

Thank you very much

Edit: I can add more information to the question. Take the gluon penguin diagram. It contains a [itex](\bar ds)[/itex] current which is an SU(3) octet and another current which is a flavor singlet. Therefore, it transform as an [itex](8_L,1_R)[/itex] representation of [itex]SU(3)_L\times SU(3)_R[/itex]. In many books I've found that this implies that it can only carry a change in isospin [itex]\Delta I=1/2[/itex]. Can anyone explain why?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2014 #2
    Gluonic penguin operators do not differentiate between a final state uu- and final state dd-,so they only contribute to final states of zero isospin.Those electroweak contribute for both.And that ΔI=1/2 selection rule has it's origin in nonperturbative hadronic physics,and I don't think there is any good explanation for it.It is rather an experimental data to fit the small value of I=2 to I=0.

4. Apr 10, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much for the answer! Could you explain a little bit further why they don't differential between the two final states and why this means that they only contribute to I=0 final states? Thank you very much

5. Apr 11, 2014 #4
    The gluonic penguin operators contain factor like ∑(q-q)V+/-A,Which contribute equally to uu- and dd-,while the electroweak part brings in factors like ∑eq(q-q)V+/-A.Eletroweak penguins with different final states acquire different factors like eq=2/3 for q=u and eq=-1/3 for q=d.You can show now that gluonic ones only contributes to I=0 case.

6. Apr 11, 2014 #5
    I'm sorry to bother you but that's exactly what I can't show.

Edit: I found the following properties on Donoghue's book. Could you tell me if I'm doing correctly? The action of the isospin rising and lowering operators on the quark fields are:
    $$
    I_+d=u,\;\; I_+\bar u=-\bar d,\;\;I_-u=d,\;\;I_-\bar d=-\bar u,
    $$
    all the others are zero. Therefore, we have, in the case of QCD penguins:
    $$
    I_+(\bar u u+\bar d d)=(I_+\bar u)u+\bar u(I_+u)+(I_+\bar d)d+\bar d(I_+d)=\bar d u-\bar d u=0
    $$
    and
    $$
    I_-(\bar u u+\bar d d)=(I_-\bar u)u+\bar u(I_-u)+(I_-\bar d)d+\bar d(I_-d)=-\bar u d+\bar u d=0.
    $$

Therefore, since both the lowering and rising operators give zero it must be an I=0 operator. Is that correct?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  7. Apr 11, 2014 #6
    You can use ladder operators,but see simply that quark and antiquark pair can have isospin of 0 or 1,and the 1 case is already ruled out as per symmetry requirement.The state symmetric in interchange of u and d is indeed isospin zero state.

8. Apr 11, 2014 #7
    Got it! Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted