Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

People in Chicago, PLEASE drive carefully

1. Feb 2, 2007 #1
    It is an statistically established fact that the hometown of the loosing team in the superbowl experiences a dramatic increase in the number of car accidents in the hours after the game[1]. So please, drivers in and around Chicago, PLEASE drive carefully on Sunday night!!! :)

[1] http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/01/22/superbowl/main537560.shtml

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2007 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing to do with the 70 odd thousand people pouring back onto the roads, many of them exhausted and half-drunk?

4. Feb 2, 2007 #3
    But your paramater alone does not explain away your quotation, which is: why the hometown of the loosing team experiences the highest increases in accidents because, persumably there are exhausted and half-drunk people in the streets of the winning team also... not to mention lots of other cities around the country and especially, I'm guessing, the city hosting the game.

5. Feb 2, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. And, if you're in the city that lost, then people probably don't linger around for victory celebrations or watching the post-game analysis, so they hit the road even sooner.

I guess we know which team Newbie is supporting. :biggrin: :rofl:

6. Feb 2, 2007 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The supporters of the winning team have loads of testosterone coursing through their systems, and we all know that testosterone improves driving ability! :rofl: :tongue2:

7. Feb 2, 2007 #6
    But see, those celebrations are great times to get even MORE drunk and MORE exhausted... which presumably means the hometown would see more crashes but doesn't.

Me, and the rest of the country that roots for sure winners :)

8. Feb 2, 2007 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not necessarily. The hometown also is going to have the stadium traffic regulated by police officers, and the crowds inside the stadium have their beer cut off a certain amount of time before the game ends. The rest of the crowds have some time to sober up before heading out, or trickle out more gradually as they get tired of post-game shows.

Even the article you cited agrees with this:
    and

In any other place than the state with the losing team, you have a mix of those cheering for the winning team and the losing team. In the state of the losing team, you'll have mostly fans of the losing team.

9. Feb 2, 2007 #8
    Agreed. Makes sense.

Well, they are only theorizing here, not presenting scientific evidence, and I'm not sure its the full story because it also says:

So I don't think a bunch of drunk fans on the roads is the full story to explain away the accidents.

10. Feb 2, 2007 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nobody said it's the full story. They were adding drunkenness and exhaustion to the inattention/distraction you presented in the opening post. All of those things together contribute to the increase in accidents after the SuperBowl.

The article mentions the increase is even greater than on New Year's Eve. That makes sense. Most everyone gets New Year's Day off from work, so has no need to rush home and to bed after the evening's celebration is over; they can wait for a cab or a ride, or just stay where they are for the night. There are also a lot of free rides made available on New Year's Eve by groups like Mothers Against Drunk Driving, that nobody makes available on SuperBowl Sunday. When you combine an evening of drinking and partying with the need to get home to report to work the next morning, you have a lot more people hitting the roads in a short time who shouldn't be on the roads at all. I've never understood why they can't just play the game on a Saturday so people have Sunday to recover.

11. Feb 2, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Playing the game on Saturday makes sense. College season is over so there are no other competing games.

How do they measure the increase? Are they measuring the number of alcohol related incidents or are they measuring the increase in alcohol related incidents?

I think it was MADD that used to calculate how much higher the rate of alcohol related driving incidents for certain special nights compared to the same night on a normal week (i.e. - they weren't compared to the overall average). Super Bowl Sunday always got a high number since Sunday night normally isn't a very popular drinking night. St. Patrick's Day also got high numbers since it could occur any night of the week - Wednesday night (or other weeknight) St Paddy's celebrations would be much higher than normal weeknights.

In raw numbers, New Years Eve always beats out events like the Super Bowl or St. Patrick's Day - you're mixing holiday travellers and party-ers on the same highways. St. Patrick's Day isn't popular enough among non-Irish to reach the raw numbers of a normal Friday or Saturday night.

I think the idea might have been that surprising results would bring more attention to the issue of drunk driving, but intentionally manipulating the numbers to obtain surprising results is a little misleading.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  12. Feb 2, 2007 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They weren't factoring in whether they were alcohol-related or not, according to the article, just looking at the number of reported accident-related fatalities and major accidents compared with the Sunday preceding and following SuperBowl Sunday (they reasoned that it would ensure similar seasonal road conditions were more balanced).

13. Feb 2, 2007 #12
    Colts as sure winners :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?