Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

People shouldn't have opinions or something

1. Apr 16, 2006 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/suffrage.html

And you see this stuff all the time! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Do people just want to pretend they are apart of something? This has been done with a lot of things. Tricking hippies into signing a ban on water is a big one. So what's with people? Do they ever think? That's what needs to be asked here. Does a majority of human beings on this earth actually think? Is democracy really the answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Such people shouldn't be allowed to vote :grumpy:
    brilliant video though :smile:

4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    Yeah, its called "lobbying".

Such people are known as "lawmakers".

5. Apr 16, 2006 #4
    That was painful. So very, very painful. Why don't the schools teach people how to operate a democratic government? That's what they're there for... right?

6. Apr 16, 2006 #5
    What is it? My work filter says it's tasteless and wont let me see it.

7. Apr 16, 2006 #6

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Please sign my petition to end womens' suffrage"

repeat.

8. Apr 16, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't looked yet, but given the responses, it probably is tasteless, and you're probably better off not seeing it. :rofl: Your work filter gets a chuckle out of me every time you mention it. That said, I'm now going to have to look and see what it is. :biggrin:

Edit: It seems I can't view it either. It's a windows media player file, and I don't have it installed on this computer. It'll have to wait until I overcome inertia and view it on another computer.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  9. Apr 16, 2006 #8
    Ah yes, definitely tasteless then....

Well I'm glad that it still makes someone laugh because it just annoys me now.:grumpy: :wink:

10. Apr 16, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to find someone who knows enough to hack into it and change the messages it gives...preferably to something tasteless to make up for all the other tasteless stuff you're missing out on. :biggrin: (Yeah, I know, if you knew someone who could do that, you'd have them remove it, not just change the messages.)

11. Apr 16, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There's nothing bad in the video. MB, you've got to see it.

This guy ges to a Women's College and asks women to sign a petition to "end women's suffrage" and they all sign it, having no clue that it's what gave women the right to vote. :bugeye:

12. Apr 16, 2006 #11

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's the same sort of sensationalist videos that the DHMO people do. Go around, ask people to sign something rediculous. Edit out the people who knew what was going on. Viola... 'proof' that people in _insert locale_ are stupid.

Jay Leno's Jaywalking does the same thing, and so does the video which asked the people "which country should we invade next and can you point to it on a map?"

Heck, I've even seen cretinist propaganda which uses the same ploy.

13. Apr 16, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I don't think they were trying to prove much. I gotta say though, i saw one of those DHMO things where they actually got thousands of signatures when the attendance numbered slightly over 10,000. That one was definitely proof of something seeing as someone can only make it so far through a crowd getting the attention of so many people.

14. Apr 16, 2006 #13
    I'm sorry, but if I could find ten women at a women's college willing to sign a petition to end women's suffrage....I don't care how many other people said no, those ten are stupid.

15. Apr 17, 2006 #14
    Here sign this petition to recall the governer and elect Arnold Schwarzenegger instead.

16. Apr 17, 2006 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

except this time it wasn't a show of stupidity :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

17. Apr 17, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't have to be bad to be tasteless. :tongue:

18. Apr 17, 2006 #17

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It might alarm you, but 50% of the population is below average intelligence. :tongue2:

19. Apr 17, 2006 #18

Yes but almost everyone is a moron in my experience.

20. Apr 17, 2006 #19
    not necessarily...

for example, 99+% of people have more than the average number of thumbs

21. Apr 17, 2006 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Enigma's "average" is a median, yours is a mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?