Period of lightly damped system with amplitude decay

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ady_h
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ady_h
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Help on question, pleasezzzzzz

Hi, iv been struggling with this question for some time now, so i thought if some1 can help on the follwoing quiestion:

Q) A lightly damped system vibrates with a period of 15.0s. In half a minute its amplitude decreases from 50cm to 5.00mm. What would be the period if the damping force were removed?

Thank you if u answer this question. :::ADY::: :smile: :smile: :smile:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a fuction describing this.
As far as I can remember,it is A=A(max)*e^(-wt)*cos(wt+...)
Since you know that "In half a minute its amplitude decreases from 50cm to 5.00mm." you can find how much is that "w".But I am not very sure,may I can tell you the accurate one if you contact me at wangkehandsome@hotmail.com later.