Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Permutation operator and Hamiltonian

1. Nov 1, 2016 #1
    The permutation operator commutes with the Hamiltonian when considering identical particles, which implies:

$$ [\hat{P}_{21}, \hat{H}] = 0 \tag{1}$$

Now given a general eigenvector ##{\lvert} {\psi} {\rangle}##, where

$$ \hat{P}_{21} (\hat{H}{\lvert}{\psi}){\rangle} = (\hat{P}_{21} \hat{H}) {\lvert} {\psi}{\rangle} + \hat{H}(\hat{P}_{21}{\lvert}{\psi}{\rangle}) $$

Using (1):
    $$
    (\hat{P}_{21} \hat{H}){\lvert} {\psi}{\rangle} = 0
    $$

But how exactly does this last relation follow? Why does acting the permutation operator on the Hamiltonian result in 0? In this case, if the Hamiltonian is symmetric with respect to permutation, how does this term going to 0 indicate that?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand how you get that equation.

4. Nov 2, 2016 #3
    Yikes. Looking back at it, I don't quite understand my step either. I was under the assumption the operator ##\hat{P}_{21}## was acting on the total state determined by ##(\hat{H}{\lvert}{\psi}{\rangle})## and thus expanded it out to act on each term in that state, but switching the order of operation here seems very wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted