Permutation Operator: Understanding & Application

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the permutation operator P_{\alpha0} and its relationship with the operator A. The conversation also mentions the constant Ea0 and how it is brought out of the equation, resulting in the summation divided by N! being equal to A. The speaker also mentions that the permutation operator is frequently encountered in the chapter on identical particles in quantum textbooks.
cks
I can't really imagine how this was approached.

Let [tex] P_{\alpha0} [/tex] fixed

[tex] P_{a0}A=\frac{1}{N!}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha}P_{\alpha0}P_{\alpha}=\frac{1}{N!}\epsilon_{\alpha0}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\beta}P_{\beta}=\epsilon_{\alpha0}A

[/tex]

I can understand that [tex] P_{\alpha0}P_{\alpha} = P_{\beta} [/tex] is a new permutation operator.

[tex] P_{a0}A=\frac{1}{N!}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha}P_{\alpha0}P_{\alpha}=\frac{1}{N!}\sum_{\alpha}\epsilon_{\alpha}P_{\beta} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
can you tell me where you got this from or what is this about?

what i think happened was that

Ea = EB x Ea0 (sorry i don't know how to put in the greek words and the subscripts here)

so since Ea0 is a constant it was brought out of the equation, then the summation divided by the N! was equal to A... and hence we get the answer

Actually, P is the permutation operator that we frequently come across from a chapter of identical particles of any quantum textbook.

What is a permutation operator?

A permutation operator is a mathematical operation that rearranges the order of a set of elements. It is commonly used in combinatorics and statistics to calculate the number of possible arrangements of a given set of objects.

What is the difference between permutation and combination?

The main difference between permutation and combination lies in the order in which the elements are selected. In permutation, the order matters, whereas in combination, the order does not matter. For example, the combinations "ABC" and "CBA" are considered different permutations, but the same combination.

How is a permutation operator applied?

A permutation operator can be applied in various fields, such as mathematics, computer science, and physics. In mathematics, it is used to calculate the number of possible arrangements of objects, while in computer science, it is used in algorithms for searching and sorting data. In physics, it is used to describe the state of a system with multiple particles.

What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for calculating permutations is n! / (n - r)!, where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. For example, if you have 5 objects and want to select 3, the formula would be 5! / (5 - 3)! = 5! / 2! = 120 / 2 = 60 possible permutations.

What are some real-life applications of permutation operators?

Permutation operators have various real-life applications, such as in gambling and lottery games, where the order of numbers matters. They are also used in cryptography to generate unique encryption keys. Additionally, they are used in genetics to study different combinations of genetic traits.