Wavefunction of a free particle has carrier and envelope parts

In summary: Draw a picture of a bell shaped curve. Then draw a lot of sine curves inside.The bell curve moves with the group velocity and the sine waves inside move at the faster phase velocity, so the sine waves are the carrier waves.In summary, the conversation discusses the wavefunction ##\psi(x,t)##, which is composed of two exponential factors that represent a carrier wave and an envelope. The carrier wave is characterized by ##p_{0}## and propagates at the phase velocity ##p_{0}/2m##, while the envelope is characterized by the momentum width ##\beta## and propagates at the group velocity ##p_{0}/m##. The envelope is a Gaussian
Kashmir
If

##\psi(x, t)=\left(\frac{1}{2 \pi \alpha^{2}}\right)^{1 / 4} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\gamma}} e^{i p_{0}\left(x-p_{0} t / 2 m\right) / \hbar} e^{-\left(x-p_{0} t / m\right)^{2} / 4 \alpha^{2} \gamma}##where
* ##\gamma=1+\frac{i t}
{\tau}##( a complex number)

* ##\tau=\frac{m h}{2 \beta^{2}}##McIntyre says
" ... this wave packet has a carrier wave part that is characterized by ##p_{0}## and propagates at the phase velocity ##p_{0} / 2 \mathrm{~m}##, and an envelope part that is characterized by the momentum width ##\beta## (through the ##\alpha## parameter) and propagates at the group velocity ##p_{0} / \mathrm{m}##. As we expected, the envelope is a Gaussian function"

I'm not able to understand how the wavefunction has a carrier and an envelope part.

Can anyone help me with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
One exponential is complex, so it represents "only" a complex phase factor, dependent on position (and time). When calculating the probability density, i.e., ##| \psi|^2##, it will simply cancel itself out.

The other exponential is real and forms a Gaussian. It is the envelope that defines what ##| \psi|^2## will look like as a function of position.

Be careful! The 2nd exp-factor is not real since ##\gamma## is complex.

Likes Kashmir and DrClaude
vanhees71 said:
Be careful! The 2nd exp-factor is not real since ##\gamma## is complex.
Exactly.that's why I am not understanding it.

Just decompose the argument of the 2nd exp-factor in real and imaginary part. It's just a bit of algebra.

vanhees71 said:
Just decompose the argument of the 2nd exp-factor in real and imaginary part. It's just a bit of algebra.
The coefficient is also complex ie ##1/\sqrt{(\gamma)}## is complex ,both the exponentials are complex so we've three factors having real and imaginary parts and upon multiplication they'll give many more real terms. And it's confusing to see the envelope and carrier wave.

[tex]\gamma=(1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2})^{1/2}e^{i\eta}[/tex]
where
[tex]\eta=\arctan \frac{t}{\tau}[/tex]
So
[tex]\gamma^{-1/2}=(1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2})^{-1/4}e^{-i\eta/2}[/tex]and
[tex]\gamma^{-1}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2}}-i \frac{\frac{t}{\tau}}{1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2}} [/tex]
Try these substitutions in your formula to get
[tex]\psi = A e^B e^{iC}[/tex]
where A, B and C are real.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
anuttarasammyak said:
[tex]\gamma=(1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2})^{1/2}e^{i\eta}[/tex]
where
[tex]\eta=\arctan \frac{t}{\tau}[/tex]
So
[tex]\gamma^{-1/2}=(1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2})^{-1/4}e^{-i\eta/2}[/tex]and
[tex]\gamma^{-1}=\frac{1}{1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2}}-i \frac{\frac{t}{\tau}}{1+\frac{t^2}{\tau^2}} [/tex]
Try these substitutions in your formula to get
[tex]\psi = A e^B e^{iC}[/tex]
where A, B and C are real.
Thank you. I'm working on it.

Draw a picture of a bell shaped curve. Then draw a lot of sine curves inside.
The bell curve moves with the group velocity and the sine waves inside move at the faster phase velocity,

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle, which includes all the information about its position, momentum, and other physical properties.

2. What is a free particle?

A free particle is a particle that is not affected by any external forces or interactions, such as gravity or electromagnetic fields. It moves freely according to its own momentum and energy.

3. What are the carrier and envelope parts of a wavefunction?

The carrier part of a wavefunction represents the oscillatory behavior of the particle, while the envelope part represents the spatial distribution of the particle's probability density.

4. How is the wavefunction of a free particle described?

The wavefunction of a free particle is described by a plane wave, which has a constant amplitude and wavelength. This means that the particle has a well-defined momentum and its position is spread out over all space.

5. What does the wavefunction of a free particle tell us about the particle's behavior?

The wavefunction of a free particle tells us about the probability of finding the particle at a certain position or with a certain momentum. It also describes the wave-like nature of particles in quantum mechanics, where they can exhibit both particle and wave-like behaviors simultaneously.