Perturbation Theory - expressing the perturbation

In summary: So the correct expression would be:##\delta\hat H = - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{b}{r^{2}} - \frac{1}{r}\right)##In summary, the perturbation for the Coulomb model of hydrogen can be specified as ##\delta\hat H = - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{b}{r^{2}} - \frac{1}{r}\right)## where ##b## is a constant length and ##4\pi\epsilon_{0}## is the permittivity of free space. This perturbation accounts for a
Zero1010
Homework Statement
Specify the perturbation for the Coulomb model of hydrogen.
Relevant Equations
##V(x) =

\begin{cases}

-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} \text{if } 0<r \leq 0 \\

-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r} \text{if } r > 0

\end{cases} ##
Hi,

I just need someone to check if I am on the right track here

Below is a mutual Coulomb potential energy between the electron and proton in a hydrogen atom which is the perturbed system:

##V(x) =
\begin{cases}
- \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} \text{for } 0<r \leq 0 \\
- \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r} \text{for } r > 0
\end{cases} ##

Where e = mag of electron charge, B = a constant length, ##4\pi\epsilon_{0}## = permittivity of free space

Using this I need to specify the perturbation of the system.

Since V(x) is the perturbed system is the total perturbation the sum of both these functions across the length?

In which case I get:

##\delta\hat H = - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} + (- \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r})##

##\delta\hat H = - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{b}{r^{2}} + \frac{1}{r})##

I just want to check if this is the correct way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the potential you are looking at. Usually for the hydrogen atom you just use the simple Coulomb potential. What does the first line mean? ##0<r \leq 0## is self-contradictory, because ##r>0## already implies that ##r \neq 0##.

Likes Zero1010
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry that's my typo it should be:

##0 \lt r \leq b##

and the second one should be

##r \gt b##

Also in the question it says to suppose there is a deviation from Coulombs law at very small distances (even though there is no evidence for it)

Zero1010 said:
Homework Statement:: Specify the perturbation for the Coulomb model of hydrogen.
Relevant Equations:: ##V(x) =

\begin{cases}

-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} \text{if } 0<r \leq 0 \\

-\frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r} \text{if } r > 0

\end{cases} ##

Hi,

I just need someone to check if I am on the right track here

Below is a mutual Coulomb potential energy between the electron and proton in a hydrogen atom which is the perturbed system:

##V(x) =
\begin{cases}
- \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} \text{for } 0<r \leq 0 \\
- \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r} \text{for } r > 0
\end{cases} ##

Where e = mag of electron charge, B = a constant length, ##4\pi\epsilon_{0}## = permittivity of free space

Using this I need to specify the perturbation of the system.

Since V(x) is the perturbed system is the total perturbation the sum of both these functions across the length?

In which case I get:

##\delta\hat H = - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{b}{r^{2}} + (- \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{1}{r})##

##\delta\hat H = - \frac{e^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{b}{r^{2}} + \frac{1}{r})##

I just want to check if this is the correct way to go about this?

Thanks in advance.
You should be subtracting the Coulomb potential in ##\delta\hat H##.

Likes vanhees71 and Zero1010

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical method used to approximate the solution of a complex problem by breaking it down into simpler, solvable parts. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to solve problems that cannot be solved exactly.

2. How does perturbation theory work?

Perturbation theory involves expressing the solution to a problem as a series of terms, with each term representing a different level of complexity. The first term in the series represents the exact solution, while the subsequent terms represent increasingly smaller corrections to the solution. By truncating the series at a certain point, an approximate solution can be obtained.

3. What is the purpose of expressing the perturbation?

Expressing the perturbation allows us to analyze the effects of small changes or disturbances on a system. By understanding how the system responds to these perturbations, we can gain insights into its behavior and make predictions about its future behavior.

4. What types of problems can perturbation theory be applied to?

Perturbation theory can be applied to a wide range of problems, including those in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is particularly useful for problems that involve small changes or disturbances to a system.

5. Are there any limitations to perturbation theory?

While perturbation theory is a powerful tool, it does have its limitations. It is most effective for problems where the perturbations are small and the system is close to a known solution. It may also fail to accurately predict the behavior of highly nonlinear systems or those with large perturbations.