1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A PET scanners -- SNR versus NECR...

1. May 2, 2016 #1
    In PET, 2D PET scanners have a superior SNR to 3D PET scanners as the influence of scatter and random events is lowered by the septa between detector rings. However, the NECR (noise-equivalent count rate), which is linearly proportional to SNR, is higher in 3D PET scanners. These two facts seem to contradict each other and I am therefore slightly confused.

Please can someone clarify the situation for me

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2016 #2

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Shouldn't that be '...inversely proportional to SNR...' ?

4. May 8, 2016 #3
    Not according to my lecturer...

5. May 8, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That sounds similar to Noise-Equivalent Temperature. Is NECR the number of signal counts needed to match the internal noise of the sensors?

6. May 8, 2016 #5
    The NEC is the true count rate of a theoretical image without any scatter or random events which would give the same statistical quality image as a real image which includes scatter and randoms.

7. May 8, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Okay. So it seems to me that the NECR for 3D PET is higher than that of 2D PET because the 3D PET real images are noisier and require more integration time to reach the same SNR as a 2D PET image.

In other words:

Real 2D PET
    Signal: 100
    Noise: 20
    SNR: 5

Ideal 2D PET
    Signal: 50
    Noise: 10
    NECR: 50

Real 3D PET
    Signal: 200
    Noise: 40

Ideal 3D PET
    Signal: 100
    Noise: 20
    NECR: 100

I hope my terminology is okay, I'm used to talking about digital camera sensors and images, not PET sensors.

8. May 9, 2016 #7
    Well my lecturer said that SNR is basically the same as NECR. So it have a lower SNR and a higher NECR :)

9. May 9, 2016 #8

Drakkith

They certainly aren't the same, but you'll probably need to talk to your lecturer about this. Right now I'm mostly guessing at what all this means.

10. May 9, 2016 #9

Tom.G

Science Advisor

Ref post #2
    Ref post #3
    Ref post #7
    Posts #3 and #7 seem to conflict with each other. Please clarify.

11. May 13, 2016 #10
    Sorry. When I say "basically the same" I mean a high SNR = high NECR...
    so they are linearly related....but I clarified this issue with my lecturer..

He said PET has a higher SNR and a higher NECR :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted