Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PETA puts to sleep 97% of adopted pets

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1

Mk

http://sev.prnewswire.com/publishing-information-services/20080111/DC1129510012008-1.html
    I know we all love PETA here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2008 #2
    So, they adpoted them to save the animals from being killed only to kill them themselves and they still talk down on animal shelters? Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.

4. Jan 12, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Yeah... PETA is my third favourite thing--right after AIDS and Taxation Canada.
    I've never been ashamed to admit that a celebrity was a Canuck until Pam Anderson got into that ****. :mad:

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4
    I have 0 respect for PETA, if I have the money for to donate to charity I would donate to the local humane society in a heartbeat ( they don't euthanize no matter how long the animal remains unadopted) but I would never give a penny to PETA.

6. Jan 13, 2008 #5
    "and that PETA contracts with a Virginia cremation service to dispose of the bodies."

What does this mean? It doesn't mean that they have been put the responsibility by the state to take their lives if they can't find a shelter for them? Or did 'noone' know they were 'disposing' of that many?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  7. Jan 13, 2008 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

PETA=People for the Eating of Tasty Animals?

8. Jan 13, 2008 #7
    Q: What do you call someone who has stopped murdering?
    A: Hilite to see. A murderer.

Meat is murder.

9. Jan 13, 2008 #8
    First, your headline is inaccurate. The animals that Peta euthanized were not "adopted pets."

Second, the CCF headline implies that 97% of pets in the United States (or in the world) were killed.

Also, in many cases these animals were not adoptable. In other cases, they came from shelters where they were going to be euthanized anyway, but with gas. Peta euthanized them with injections, which is quicker and more humane.

Finally, it's important for people to know what the Center for Consumer Freedom is. It's a deceptively named group that was founded with money from the tobacco industry. (For more information, visit SourceWatch or ConsumerDeception.org.) The CCF's goal was to put a positive spin on smoking. When that failed, they moved to other industries and are now funded by the restaurant, alcohol, meat and dairy industries.

The CCF opposes Mothers Against Drunk Driving. And their MO is to try to discredit those groups that oppose the CCF. Peta is one of those groups because it cares about animals and doesn't want people to murder them for food.

Even if you hate Peta, please look into the source of this press release -- the CCF. As people who care about science, it would seem that you'd go out of your way to look at unbiased sources.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  10. Jan 13, 2008 #9

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought this thread would last a little bit longer before heading for a crash course. I'd hardly call chooseveg.com an unbiased source as they too have an agenda to push.

11. Jan 13, 2008 #10
    Those three things at the bottom are my taglines. They weren't meant to be offered as sources related to the CCF press release.

12. Jan 13, 2008 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh well fair enough. My apologies.

13. Jan 13, 2008 #12

Mk

The Center for Consumer Freedom is basically a libertarian organization. I know that means to a lot of people that it means "they're a bunch of nutjobs."

I checked on that Mother's Against Drunk Driving (how can you be against that? you're pro-drunk driving?). It turns out they're against them because MADD isn't about keeping down drunk driving as much as it is against alcohol use period, they say.
    http://www.consumerfreedom.com/news_detail.cfm/headline/2554

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  14. Jan 13, 2008 #13
    From SoureWatch.org:

The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) (formerly called the "Guest Choice Network") is a front group for the restaurant, alcohol and tobacco industries. It runs media campaigns which oppose the efforts of scientists, doctors, health advocates, environmentalists ...

http://sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Center_for_Consumer_Freedom

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2008
  15. Jan 13, 2008 #14

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

They were animals to be saved and then put up for adoption. They were intended for adoption. Close enough.

16. Jan 13, 2008 #15
    "Cuckoo" is spelled like this. And, Cyrus, you're clearly a very nice guy.

17. Jan 13, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously they weren't adopted, because PETA killed them first. It's a headline. The rest of the story is available to read...headlines are never the full story.

No, the story points out that 97% of the animals that PETA took in were killed (only about 40 some odd percent in other shelters in the state were killed as unadoptable).

Irrelevant. PETA is the psycho organization that tells people that all those other shelters are bad for euthanizing animals, ANY animals, even the ones that are so badly behaved as to be unadoptable, and then turns around and euthanizes almost all the animals they took in. Hence, the hypocrisy claims. Most everything PETA does harms animals they claim to be saving.

I agree that organization is also highly suspect, but the PETA story has been reported previously by the mainstream media organizations. This is just a report that it has led to an official conviction, basically just reporting the outcome of the prior allegations against them.

:rofl: PETA cares about lining their pockets. But, yeah, that's the whole point of the story, isn't it. PETA tries to tell people that animals have equal rights to people, so euthanizing an animal is tantamount to murder, yet they've euthanized the vast majority of animals in their care. That would be the definition of hypocrisy.

The source isn't really important if they are reporting only factual claims. They are reporting information that would be available in the public record, and doesn't diminish at all what PETA has done.

18. Jan 13, 2008 #17
    PETA:

raised: 2 million,

cost of parties, administration and advertizing: 1.9 million

19. Jan 13, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep. If you really care about animals and want to help them, DON'T donate to PETA, you're just throwing your money away and no animal will ever be helped by it, but I'm sure you'll get a nice, shiny calendar or pamphlets from them, the production of which undoubtedly polluted a stream poisoning some aquatic animals that they don't talk about because they aren't cute and furry. Donate to your local humane society or other shelter, volunteer time at one, or spring an animal from the pound yourself and give it a loving home.

20. Jan 13, 2008 #19
    This really the best way to help. I know that not everyone can do this, but whenever I have decided that the house needs a pet, I NEVER EVER go to the 'pet store' (it's almost as sickening as PETA).

There are millions of wonderful pets waiting in shelters for a home. That's where I found my cats Legolas and Aragorn.

21. Jan 14, 2008 #20

Danger

Gold Member

Oh, man... that's hilarious! :rofl:

Where can I get one of those to stick on my barbecue?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?