Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peticure Elite - nail trimmer for pets

1. May 16, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.peticure.com/professional.html

These look pretty cool to me. We had two dogs that were incredibly sensitive to nail clipping, which was a real pain for us and painful for the dogs. But I wonder if some animals wouldn't still react to the noise. And I wonder how much nail can be removed at one time. Does maintenance require either weekly trimmings or extended grinding times?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My secretary bought this (or something similar), and the dogs would have none of it. It wasn't the noise, it was the vibration. She tried it on herself and she couldn't stand it either!

4. May 16, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try filing your nails with a Dremel tool, and you'll get some perspective on this. The noise would likely freak out most animals. We have a hard enough time with the noise of electric clippers to shave wool on sheep...they always startle when the clippers are first turned on. And, with a grinder type attachment, you not only have noise and vibration, but heat from the friction...OUCH! I clip my cat's nails about every other week to keep them maintained, and I think a quick clip is much less stressful than taking the time to file them down (and if you grind them down faster, the heat produced would be painful too).

5. Jun 3, 2008 #4
    Regular pet nail trimmers work just fine when used correctly. Just clipped my puppies and he didn't squirm one bit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?