PF PHOTO CONTEST - Home turf (Jul 26- Aug 2)

In summary: I'm glad I was able to capture them. I've seen a lot of beautiful sunsets here in the desert, but this one...this one took my breath away. And I've never done anything to enhance or alter that photo...the colors, especially the orange, are just as they were that evening.turbo, I hope you get to feeling better. If I may ask, what is it that ails you? Anything serious? I hope not! If you ever need a little motivation to take a walk, just let me know...I'll post a few pics of the desert that will make you want to go for a hike for sure! :rofl
matthyaouw
Gold Member
Back from my travels now so thanks to those who ran this for me while I was away.

Home Turf
I know we've had a similar contest before, but I fancied revisiting it. Show me your home turf. Your city, your street, anywhere close to where you live or lived.

I will post the voting thread next sunday since I'm a day late with putting this up.
Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Ideas for competitions you'd like to see? Submit them here

Physics news on Phys.org
View of the back yard at my Dad's place,

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/626/turf.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
The beautiful, rugged terrain of the central coast of California.

DSCR-1275.jpg

edit: The past few times I've read this thread, my picture hasn't appeared. I don't know if it's my browser, or Google, but I made a new URL just in case.

- Warren

Last edited:
This where I currently live, though the weather this year has been cold and very rainy, so the garden has suffered, and I decided to use a shot from a year or so ago. Last fall, I shoveled 2 truckloads of rotted cow manure on this garden spot and tilled it in, and if the weather had cooperated I'd be swamped with produce. So far, the garlic, cabbage, lettuce, chard, beets are doing well. Peppers, tomatoes, beans and peppers are WAY behind the curve. No sun.

cont_house.jpg

Well, wait... am I misunderstanding the theme again? Should this contest only include photos from or of one's own dwelling? Or does it include the region and landforms in one's "turf?"

- Warren

chroot said:
Well, wait... am I misunderstanding the theme again? Should this contest only include photos from or of one's own dwelling? Or does it include the region and landforms in one's "turf?"

- Warren
It says anwhere close to where you live or lived. So anywhere in your current or former region.

scan0001.jpg

Three years ago, when the Oilers were in the Stanley Cup play-off finals, someone who lived around the corner from me painted Oilers jerseys on their front lawn fence. It's too bad this picture doesn't do them justice, but the jerseys were convincing at a glance as actual shirts.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5180/hometurf.jpg [Broken]

This is my home...

Chicago lakefront.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8074/img4699c.jpg [Broken]

Zz.

Very nifty perspective shot, Zapper.

GeorginaS said:
Very nifty perspective shot, Zapper.

Gracias!

Zz.

Your home looks like paradise turbo... I'm so jealous, stuck here in the city.:grumpy:

That's right around the corner from the big egg-thing isn't it ZapperZ?

robertm said:
Your home looks like paradise turbo... I'm so jealous, stuck here in the city.:grumpy:
Thanks. It's what my wife have wanted for a long time, and it just wasn't in the cards until my work situation changed. When I was traveling as a consultant or working shifts, I felt a lot better knowing that she wasn't "home alone" when I was gone - there were neighbors all around in that quiet development. Now, I'm here most ever day and night, the remote location is a plus, and I can grow more food than we can eat (in normal years). The weather hasn't been cooperating this year, but we've got a couple of large chest-freezers stuffed with food stockpiled from the past 2 really good seasons, so it's not like we'll be suffering. Raspberries are doing really well, and much of our ~10 acres has cut-over clearings where they thrive, and the blackberries look like they might be really thick this year. I'll have to concentrate on them and on the apples - our trees are heavy with apples this year.

ZapperZ's picture is really cool. junglebeast's picture doesn't look amateurish at all.

Looks like mine and GeorginaS's photos are competing for the last position (sorry GeorginaS :frown:)

jobyts said:
junglebeast's picture doesn't look amateurish at all.

Thanks :) In fact, far from it...it was taken with a cheapo Kodak EasyCam which cost about $100 back in 2004. The lense flare is an artifact of a low quality lense. The colors in the sky were http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8697/lak2.jpg" [Broken] me :P

jobyts said:
ZapperZ's picture is really cool. junglebeast's picture doesn't look amateurish at all.

Looks like mine and GeorginaS's photos are competing for the last position (sorry GeorginaS :frown:)

Meh, no apology needed. Mine's just a picture. I've no eye for photography at all. I just thought that what a neighbour had created was cool enough to add to a picture discussion about "home turf". :smile:

dvh54k.jpg

Burg Hohenzollern, a nice walk from on the Schwabische Alp in South Germany, my home turf for most of the last five years.

It's not that's 'my home is my castle'

Andre said:
Burg Hohenzollern, a nice walk from on the Schwabische Alp in South Germany, my home turf for most of the last five years.

It's not that's 'my home is my castle'

Oh, I'm drooling with envy!

What is the theme of the photo contest?

The theme of the photo contest is "Home turf," which means capturing images of your local surroundings and environment.

Who can participate in the contest?

Anyone can participate in the contest, as long as they follow the guidelines and rules set by the organizers.

What are the submission requirements?

The photo must be taken during the contest period and must be related to the theme. The file should be in JPG or PNG format and not exceed 5MB in size. Participants must also include a title and brief description of the photo.

How will the winner be selected?

The winner will be selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, composition, and relevance to the theme of the submitted photo.

What is the prize for the winner?

The prize for the winner may vary depending on the contest organizers. It could be a cash prize, gift cards, or photography-related products.