PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's (10/13-10/19)

In summary: In summary, the photo contest this week is sponsored by the letter Z. Your picture this week must include, as its main subject, something that begins with the letter "Z", as spelled in a standard English language dictionary. A proper name such as a person's name, does not qualify.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
I Need Some Zzzzzzz's

This week's contest is sponsored by the letter Z! Call it "zee" or "zed", it is my most favorite letter of the alphabet! Your picture this week must contain, as its main subject, something that begins with the letter "Z", as spelled in a standard English language dictionary. A proper name such as a person's name, does not qualify.

Good luck!

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh sure, I'll just step outside and take a picture of a zebra. :biggrin:

I wonder how many folks can find something that begins with Z, and not a person. I knew a Zelda once. She was really cute.

Oh, geez, that's going to be a tough one! And when I saw the thread title, I expected it to be about things related to sleep.

Moonbear said:
Oh, geez, that's going to be a tough one! And when I saw the thread title, I expected it to be about things related to sleep.

What, you don't have a zebra either?

Zz.

How about anything with the letter Z in it? :rofl:

I've got zilch.

Anybody near a zoo?

Ooo I have a zebra..

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4964/whatazebraseesbywhitepeas0.jpg

I like the eye detail and how it was staring at me..the only downside was the horns of a antelope in the way as the zebra was standing in the middle of the herd of them.

Taken with zoom lens

Last edited by a moderator:
ZIPPER

http://bikeflat.com/albums/album14/DSC_5649.sized.jpg

alex caps said:
ZIPPER

Great! Now I have to go out looking for a zombie! :grumpy:

A Zircon-studded pendent.

IMG_2276.jpg

Last edited:
Dang. I'm not brewing a batch right now, so I can't get a photo of Zymurgy.

can we make a new rule? - no repeating words? would make it more fun...

alex caps said:
can we make a new rule? - no repeating words? would make it more fun...

... but also more difficult. You've seen already people complaining about not having any zebras as a pet!

:)

Zz.

WOW I have a zedbra.. Taken this summer at the Toronto zoo..Most excellent place,imho.

Picture923.jpg

I know I have a picture of the elusive ZapperZ around here. :biggrin:

I actually probably do have a bad photo of a zebra somewhere too, but since there are already good zebra photos, no point in that. I think I need to consult the Z section of the dictionary for some more unusual ideas. :rolleyes:

Well, after consulting the dictionary, I must conclude that I have
Zip, zero, zilch!
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6506/zerojb4.jpg
Edit: It was even more humorous that my first attempt to insert the image failed and just showed a broken link icon. :rofl: Not sure, maybe I should have just left that version up. :biggrin:

Z is for ZOMBIES!

IMG_9333.jpg

Zz.

Some zechins

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/zzzz.jpg

~christina~ said:
Ooo I have a zebra..

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/4964/whatazebraseesbywhitepeas0.jpg

Nice eyeliner!

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9953/zoneyz6.jpg

Some Art Deco era Zone(s)

:smile:

Zoolander

{picture disqualified}

0TheSwerve0 said:
Zoolander

Wouldn't this qualify as a "proper name" though?

Zz.

Didn't think it was a problem, but if it is then never mind.

ZapperZ said:
Wouldn't this qualify as a "proper name" though?

Zz.
Looks like a Zombie to me. :rofl:

0TheSwerve0 said:
Didn't think it was a problem, but if it is then never mind.

Unfortunately, since I've disqualified all proper names when I was describing the contest, the picture can't be used. There's still time for you to submit another one.

Zz.

Math Is Hard said:
Nice eyeliner!

:rofl: I wish I had eye liner that was naturally like that.

After scouring dictionary.com, I came up with "zalophus," meaning sea lions. I wanted to use zeppo (as in the slang version), but I had no pictures of AJ Mclean. :rolleyes:

SeaLionsbasking.jpg

You have less than 2 days left to enter a picture for this contest. So go find those Zzzzzz's!

Zz.

What is the PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's is a photo contest organized by the PF (Photography Forum) community for photographers to showcase their best photos that capture the theme of "sleep" or "rest". The contest runs from October 13th to October 19th.

Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's?

Anyone who is a member of the PF community can participate in the contest. This includes amateur and professional photographers of all ages and skill levels.

What are the rules for the PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's?

The rules for the contest are as follows:- Photos must be original and taken by the participant.- Photos must be related to the theme of "sleep" or "rest".- Photos must be submitted by the deadline of October 19th.- Each participant can submit up to 3 photos.- Photos must be in JPEG format and not exceed 5MB in size.- Any form of editing or manipulation is allowed.- Participants must have the necessary rights and permissions for the photo they submit.

How are the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's determined?

The winners of the contest will be determined by a panel of judges selected by the PF community. The judges will evaluate the photos based on creativity, composition, and relevance to the theme. The top 3 photos will be announced as the winners on October 20th.

What are the prizes for the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST - I Need Some Zzzzzzzz's?

The top 3 winners of the contest will receive a cash prize of $100, $50, and $25 respectively. In addition, the winning photos will be featured on the PF website and social media pages, giving the winners exposure and recognition for their work.